Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone installed a set of GTO Seats in a B-body? What are the issues, whats needed, and are there any pics from members?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ive also thought about GTO seats but the prices of the seats have discourged me from doing so. Ok off the top of my head of whats needed...

1. GTO seats (duuhhh) :rolleyes:

2. seat wiring harness and as much wire as you get with it cuz Im sure they just wont plug into the stock harness and plan to do alot of splicing/soldering or

3. Either
</font>
  • A. If they are 6 way power seats and have the same functions as stock, you would just have to modify your seat tracks (ie drill the proper holes) to bolt on the GTO seats or</font>
</font>
  • B. Use the GTO seat tracks and build some kind of adaptord to bolt down the GTO rails to the floorboard (like the bonny adaptors that Gary aka LS1 MM6 sells) This is a must if the GTO seats have differnet functions than the stock seats</font>
4. Figure out which way to go and start installing. ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Decent guess (having been involved in well, just a few seat swaps on these cars ;) ) is that I doubt they'll fit well.

Issue on the B-body is that despite being a WIDE car, the seat mounting area (more or less, between the trans tunnel and frame tunnel) is pretty skinny. Only about 17-18" IIRC. Stock SS seats get around this by sitting (on the outside) above the frame rail tunnel, and using a pretty thin seat bottom on top of a fairly tall adjuster mechanism.

Most other seats do not do this, so to get them to fit you either have to use fairly skinny seats OR shim them up so they are high enough to sit above the frame rail tunnel. Net result : the seats sit pretty high up in the car (sorta like being on a booster seat).

Might work ok regardless if you're short. If you're a big dude like me, forget it

So, go ahead and try it but now you know the first "gotchas" to look for...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info guys. For now, I will keep my impy seats unless a great deal comes through on some GTO seats. I just wanted to solicit the idea.

Thanks again.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
plus they say GTO on them.. and the side bolsters sag after sitting them 3 times.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its easy if the seat frames will adapt to the stock seat slider, on the C5 Corvette seats I have to redrill holes and worked out great,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.