Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Turns out the back 1/4 wasn't in as good as shape as the original owner had led me to believe.

I wire brushed it and found that I blew through a hole about the size of a 1/2 dollar. So for now I patched it from the inside with fiberglass, but the problem is, I see some small bubbles coming from the area right behind the wheel opening. I cannot get to the back of that.

Peeking my head as far as I can get in that opening, I can see rust but have no way of attacking it.

I learned long ago that you either have to sand blast really good or cut out and weld new in. I hesitate to blast an area you cannot get to the back of to properly clean and prep. The body shop thinks sandblasting will work. I think I should get a 1/4 from down south and have it patched in. What do you guys think. Also, I've never had a 1/4 put in, what does that even run?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My autobody estimators guide shows that the rear side glass has to be removed, and the quarter panel gets cut just up the window pillars. time is estimated at 17 hours for the Left, and 17.5 hours for the right. $429.00 for the sheetmetal.

L part # 12505887
R part # 12505886

I hope this helps!!

D.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My buddy installed my quarters in a weekend. They were both used and we seamed them behind the wide stainless trim. I have a thread on here with pics I'll try to locate for you. I didn't feel the need to remove the glass and try to match the woodgrain. Make sure you use a LOT of POR 15 inside and out when you are done.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If your rust hole is only in the usual location right behind the wheel at the bottom of the quarterpanel, then you don't need to replace the whole thing (and remove the glass). At most you'd likely only need to replace from the reveal line down. You may even be able to get by just putting in a small patch if the affected area is small enough.

Regardless, you don't want to just fiberglass over it because the rust will come back. The only "right" way to fix it is to cut out all the rusted steel and replace it with new steel.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, the glass is just to get me through the winter w/o a big hole.

On a side note, I can see that water is still getting into bottom of the 1/4 panel. The hole is shut with tape over it to help keep road gunk off it till I put some paint on it. Where is a common spot for water to get in these things?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.