Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am hoping to get roller rockers and beehives in my car before spring. I am planing some better tires also. I went to the track for the first time this summer and was wondering which way to go. My car is said to have 2.93 gears and it shifts into 3rd a few hundred feet from the end at 90+mph. Should I go with shorter tires for the track making the gears seem steeper, (26" vs 28") allowing it to shift sooner in the track or raise the shiftpoint rpm instead so maybe my car will stay in second gear through the 1/4. This is our familly car and my dd. I am not planing on racing regularly, I just like having a quick luxury sedan instead of a minivan.

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
Gear and a converter will really get the car moving out of the hole. The flip side is that you will/may have traction issues.

If you're changing tires out for gear ratio, then get a set of drag radials to go along with your gears/converter. Though I don't know who makes an 18" set besides Nitto and rumor is that they don't hook up as well as others.

How often are you going to the track? Do you want to be faster or more consistent?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will only be going to the track a couple of times a year, I was looking for faster more than consistant. I thought if I was to get a second set of rear tires for my 15" stock rims anyway I could get shorter ones for the track or I could have the max rpm raised after I put in the roller rockers. Those of you that are running stock gears, are you ending the 1/4 in second or third?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.