Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have the money saved and the next mod i wanna do is 1.6rr and springs. my current mods are in my sig and the only other performance mods i will be doin is a 2800 stall tc and a shift kit. my question is what are the part numbers for the best 1.6rr and springs from combation motor sports for my stock iron heads. or do they just offer a package wit all the stuff i will need?
thanx

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
i ordered mine from terry at cm. He recommended the 612's for me with the self aligning 1.6 roller rockers. I just got the springs but the rockers haven't come yet. Call Terry he will help you out

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yep, call 'em up. They are knowledgable and easy to talk with.

Buy a set of valve seals as well since you are doing 98% of the work needed to replace them anyway with your spring swap.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by RONSS96:
i ordered mine from terry at cm. He recommended the 612's for me with the self aligning 1.6 roller rockers. I just got the springs but the rockers haven't come yet. Call Terry he will help you out
The 612s are for aluminum heads as far as I know, post by Seth , now I like the CM crew and find them to be a great vendor but this is not the first time I have seen their more f-body oriented crew sell the wrong parts to the b-body crowd. Just a few weeks ago on the other board they sold a cam with over .550 to a guy who told them stock iron heads, the guy really didn't have the supporting mods for the cams duration eiher in the heavier b-body. Until things settle down over there or you talk to Sam it might be advisable to at least have an idea of the PNs you need. Not trying to knock CM or anything I will continue to buy stuff from them I will just make sure I know what I need first. If the 612 was just a typo great but my comments about some of the f-body guys there still stand as I have seen other examples of this sort of thing.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the tip!! I better call them and be sure they didn't give me aluminum head springs. The post you linked to shows a 614 and a 613. Mine say 612 on the box. Better safe than sorry. I will call them tommorrow.
thanks again!!
Ron..

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Going on hearsay -- never done or had the job done, but I need it bad too. The job isn't labor intensive or difficult if you are careful and have a good idea of how to do it. But it does take time, so the labor is going to cost you quite a bit. The gains, reportedly, with the 1.6 RR is around 15-20 hp at the crank. What I know is that it will make the motor more lively due to the weak stock springs being quite worn, and give you power over a broader rpm range.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Say good bye to valve float above 4800rpm. I remember CM claiming a 35hp gain from doing both the springs and the rockers.

It took Spartus, SSONIC, and I about 5 hrs to do it. Then again that included dinner, chatting, etc. 2.5 hrs if you know what you're doing and that's the only thing you are doing. A shop may charge you for upwards of 7-8 hrs of labor.

Matt

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hey, I used the same guys to do mine!

Rumors aside, on similar weather days I picked up an average gain of about 15 afgs above 4000 rpm averaging many pulls. SOP gain was pretty decent, too.

I've been happy with mine.

-PJ Gross

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Geeze,

And Tom and I did the job for beer only... :rolleyes: ;)
guess we should start charging 5 hrs. @ $100/hr. :D

Or you guys could come over and turn a wrench on the engine swaps I've got going right now.

Seriously, we were glad to help out!

Now to add to the topic at hand, make sure you are shifting at a decent RPM once you get the springs and rockers done. IMO a stock B-body with springs and rockers should be finishing it's shift around 5800-5900!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Originally posted by SSONIC:
Geeze,

And Tom and I did the job for beer only... :rolleyes: ;)
guess we should start charging 5 hrs. @ $100/hr. :D

Or you guys could come over and turn a wrench on the engine swaps I've got going right now.

Seriously, we were glad to help out!

Now to add to the topic at hand, make sure you are shifting at a decent RPM once you get the springs and rockers done. IMO a stock B-body with springs and rockers should be finishing it's shift around 5800-5900!
Hey I wasn't complaining about the help. I enjoyed the talking, food, meeting his family, etc.

Just say the word and I'd come over and turn a wrench to help you out too.

Tom ended up changing my shift point at around 56-5700rpm. I think that's more than enough for me..

Matt

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I know that this has nothing to do with your question, but looking at your list...I'd do the torque converter first - you will feel the bigger gain (IMHO) - JM.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.