Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Bought And 94 Impala Ss With 120k, 1.6 Roller Rocker Arms, Unknown Cam, Eldebrock Intake, Cold Air Intake, 52mm Throttle Body, Eldebrock Headers, And Built 4l60e. My Problem Is That The Car Sounds Great But It Doesn't Preform To Much Better Then My Old 95 Impala With Only Cold Air Intake Upgrade, So I Had The Car Dyno'd And This Is What Showed Up
83-Torque Converter Quad Driver
26-Evap Purge Control
16-Low Resolution pulse
42-Est Ground
41-Est Open
36-High Resolution
48-Mass Air Flow
68-A/c Relay Shorted
18-Injector
51-Ecm Error
15-Coolant Temp
97-4k Pulses Per Mile

12 Silent Codes That Have Never Showed Up And Its Strange Cause My Check Engine Light Has Never Come
The Mechanic Told Me I Need A New Wire Harness For My Engine Cause He Was Saying That My Wire Harness Is Shortened Out In Alot Of Places And Probably Fried My ECM And At This Point My ECM Dont Know What Its Doin Its Just Running Under Basic Settings. Can Anyone Chime In And Tell Me If I Should Get And Harness And PCM Or Should I Fix The Problems One By One On My Own And If Anyone Can Explain What Some Of These Codes Mean Please Do

·
Super Moderator
7,841 Posts
I Bought And 94 Impala Ss With 120k, 1.6 Roller Rocker Arms, Unknown Cam, Eldebrock Intake, Cold Air Intake, 52mm Throttle Body, Eldebrock Headers, And Built 4l60e. My Problem Is That The Car Sounds Great But It Doesn't Preform To Much Better Then My Old 95 Impala With Only Cold Air Intake Upgrade, So I Had The Car Dyno'd And This Is What Showed Up
83-Torque Converter Quad Driver
26-Evap Purge Control
16-Low Resolution pulse
42-Est Ground
41-Est Open
36-High Resolution
48-Mass Air Flow
68-A/c Relay Shorted
18-Injector
51-Ecm Error
15-Coolant Temp
97-4k Pulses Per Mile

12 Silent Codes That Have Never Showed Up And Its Strange Cause My Check Engine Light Has Never Come
The Mechanic Told Me I Need A New Wire Harness For My Engine Cause He Was Saying That My Wire Harness Is Shortened Out In Alot Of Places And Probably Fried My ECM And At This Point My ECM Dont Know What Its Doin Its Just Running Under Basic Settings. Can Anyone Chime In And Tell Me If I Should Get And Harness And PCM Or Should I Fix The Problems One By One On My Own And If Anyone Can Explain What Some Of These Codes Mean Please Do

I would start with a new computer and go from there.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I agree with Dustman.

FWIW, with the codes you are showing, the car shouldn't even be running. I see a code 16 and also you have 52. Your CEL should have illuminated at some point w/ all those codes. I would try a different PCM after giving the harness a good visual inspection.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Guys Im Going To Try The New Computer As There Is And Impala Ss Junk Yard A Buddy Of Mine Owns Ill Just Go And Get And PCM from Him But One Problem The Cam In My Car Is Unknown Because The Dude I Bought The Car From He Died And I Have No Way Of Knowing What Kind Of Cam Is In The Car. Is There A Way I Can Find Out Without Taking The Cam Out? Because If I Have To Take The Cam Out I Will Just Buy My Own New Cam And Have It Programmed To The PCM
Does The Pcm Have To Be Programmed For And Stall ?????

·
Registered
885 Posts
I would reset the codes first and drive it around for a while to see if any of them show up again.

My bet is that the engine was tested without some sensors connected, and/or the guy unplugged some while the engine was running to test out things.

The codes are then recorded and usually are cleared up automatically after 100 ignition cycles if they dont happen again.

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
Looks like you have some work to do there, does the CEL even come on with the ignition to the on position? Just wondering if the bulb is burnt out or even there. I have heard of guys taking the bulb out so the CEL doesn't show the real problems.

·
Registered
885 Posts
The pcm have a code for when the check engine light is defect

its DTC 11.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yea The Bulb Works Fine And How Do I Reset

·
Registered
885 Posts
you need a computer, and a usb adapter to connect to the pcm, then use datamaster ee software to reset the code, datalog, etc.

anthony from pcmperformance make a nice usb adapter that works just fine with any laptop.

but there's plenty of other options.

I would also ask Alex at pcmperfomance again about a custom tune for you car, once you can datalog with datamaster you can send that to Alex so he'll get an idea of what it should run with what you got.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
you need a computer, and a usb adapter to connect to the pcm, then use datamaster ee software to reset the code, datalog, etc.

anthony from pcmperformance make a nice usb adapter that works just fine with any laptop.

but there's plenty of other options.

I would also ask Alex at pcmperfomance again about a custom tune for you car, once you can datalog with datamaster you can send that to Alex so he'll get an idea of what it should run with what you got.
But What Oh This Unknown CamI Have No Idea What To Tell Him It Is

·
Registered
885 Posts
He will figure it out :)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So A Datamaster Can Tell Me My Lift And Duration To Be Able To Match It Up ????

·
Registered
885 Posts
To the risk of repeating myself, yup!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ok Thanks SSnow Im Going To Look Into Getting the datamaster Reader Stuff And Send The Info To Alex

And To Anyone Else The Guy At The Shop Also Told Me I Need And Opti

·
Registered
885 Posts
On thoses car, before throwing out new parts at it trying to fix something, i'd better datalog with datamaster to really see whats happening. I learned the hard way.

even the TBI cars can be logged up.

You'll save time and money in the long run.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
which cable should i use to i see they like 5 different one but i see one with 12 pin and one with 16 pins and i see one with a thick black piece between the rows of pins

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
A laundry list of codes is usually caused with bad battery cables/connections as well as bad grounds. I would check and double check them before replacing any parts.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
A laundry list of codes is usually caused with bad battery cables/connections as well as bad grounds. I would check and double check them before replacing any parts.
what and which grounds should i check

1 - 20 of 22 Posts