Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is what the FSM recommends. Moog says 50-60. 120 seems like way too much, is this a typo? I went with the moog spec but was just curious what the deal was with the FSM spec. Anyone know? Thanks.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
You made the right choice by following the manufacturers spec. I put in AC joints a few months ago and it said something like 70-80 ft. lbs. while the FSM listed the ridiculously high torque. I don't know why they list that either.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I beleive my FSM for 1996 lists 61ftlb for upper ball joint.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was a typo.

The correct torque is 61 upper, 83 lower.

Interestling enough, though the FSM listed far too high of a torque, the factory did not torque them enough in some cases...

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
- I over torqued mine then.

What do I do, loosen and torque properly? Nothing?

-Jay

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If they're overtorqued...I'd recommend loosening them and maybe even popping the balljoint loose with a fork (because part of the torque reading is pressing the spindle onto the balljoint)...then set your torque wrench to 60 lb*ft and torque to there...then look at the castle nut and see where it is...turn it as little as possible to allow you to get a cotter pin through the ball joint stud...soon as you can get a pin through, stop tightening it, pin it, bend the pin so it can't rattle or come out, grease the balljoint and move on.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would do what Mike says, except not "maybe" pop it out, but DO pop it out! Never loosen a nut without popping the joint out. It might be a good idea to see if there is any deformation on the stud anyway while you have it popped out.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
when I use a pickle fork to seperate a ball joint I always ruin the rubber grease seal.
Is there a better technic?
Can I buy new seals seperately?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Three 9c1:
when I use a pickle fork to seperate a ball joint I always ruin the rubber grease seal.
Is there a better technic?
Can I buy new seals seperately?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes there is,

You can rent "tie-rod" pullers of a couple different sizes at autozone or something. It has a couple fixed jaws on it to wrap around the knuckle with a threaded stud in the middle to apply the pressure to the ball joint. It works very well if one doesn't like to beat a pickle fork into the ball joint.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
- Mike, Spaughman, Thanks. I'll do it tomorrow.

Stupid me. I know that info is posted here on the forum somewhere. Bill Harper probably reminded me about it in one of his e-mails, too.

I've been diagnosed with the Age Virus. Seems to be advancing. It's terminal you know.

-Jay

1 - 10 of 10 Posts