Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alpine gives ratings for their amps running at 14.4 volts... When does a car put out that much volatge? I thought it was 12V ? Does anybody know how to make the alternator put out 14.4 volts?

Mike

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Your alternator puts out ~14.4 volts when the engine is running.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can't charge a 12V battery with a 12V alternator....
You'll see voltages between 12 and 15 V normally during charging/maintaining of the battery.

Mike

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I see.. you know I could never understand why Alpine always advertised that 14.4 volt ratings.. thanks guys... now what's the deal with a 14V battery...anybody ever used one?

Mike

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You shouldn't use a 14 volt battery in a car designed for a 12 volt. While it should work relatively fine, the wiring and alternator isn't designed to handle the increased voltage required for operation.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by redimpss:
you mean like a gin and juice??????
"Cuz my minds on my money and my moneys on my mind"

Well is it better to get a second battery or a capacitor? I heard Stinger makes really good electrical equipment...

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A second battery wouldn't help while the car is running. It would let you run the stereo for a longer time while the car is off however. A capacitor may or may not be needed depending upon how much power your amps draw on hard hitting bass notes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts