Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen the threads on the SS and Cparices but what about any reference point for Fleetwood or Roadmaster rim widths in the rear?

I was thinking of widening stock Fleetwood rims to 10" and running 325 50 15 Mickey Thompsons for the sleeper effect...I know the skirts may make it tough?

If I have to do 275 60 15 on an 8" rim I can...just rather run the bigger tire for my plans...

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
just saw a pic of a Fleetwood with stock 15x7's running 275 60 15s so I know that can be done. I'd probably widen them 1" more to run that tire - just think that would be safer.

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
I was thinking of widening stock Fleetwood rims to 10" ...
A quick look underneath will make it clear that widening the stock 7" wheel by the normal method of adding a band to the inside of the wheel will NOT allow 3" additional width before hitting the frame. After measuring the overall clearance between skirt and frame you MIGHT be able to get 10" in there, but then you will have to add a spacer to to clear the frame, or, just buy a new 10" wheel with correct offset/backspace. Be sure to add sidewall overhang in calculating maximum width.

FWIW I test installed 10" widened SS wheels with 315 35s, and the tire met the frame a 1/2" from seating on the rotor.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience! Looks like a 1" widening of the stock rim and a 275 60 15 would be more reasonable...

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you do a little digging there's a twin turbo Fleetwood with widened stockers and WHITEWALL drag radials.
Yep, I remember that car, I actually pm'd him years ago with some questions about his build - super nice car. I actually spoke to company in South Carolina (I think) about making a set like his. They told me they would do BFG drag radials but the Mickey Thompsons were too soft to cut the whitewalls into...:D

I love sleepers!

·
Registered
438 Posts
on my 95 fleet im running 285-40-17 on 9.5 in rim, n its tight, have to cut the skirt handles n bent the in the handles a little, if not it will rub, I try put in 15x10 with 295 50 15 and they don't fit, as I lower the car the it touch on both sides n the car would go down

1 - 7 of 7 Posts