Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im looking to know if anyone has fitted a set of these wheels and knows what backspacing to use, im looking into a tire around a 28x13.5 for rear use, ive done the search engine and used the backspacing thread but it told me nothing, any help me?, thanks robert

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Robert;

I think those tires are going to be a tight fit. I know you were asking about Phil Villa's rear setup but no one answered all your questions.

Phil is a super nice guy but he doesn't come to the forum too often, so shoot him an email at: [email protected]

Good luck, let us know what Phil says.

Ten inch wide rims should fit with 6.125 inch backspacing or so, I have 18x10's on one of my Impala's and used to have 18x11's.

Hopefully Ed R will jump in here and save the day.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have 15x10" Diamond Racing wheels on my SS with 5.5 bs and 325/50-15 drag radials which are equivalent to a 28"x13.50"-15" tire and they work - well almost.

The right side scrapes just slightly on the wheel molding. There are two issues here-
1) The tire diameter. It seems to scrap at the front of the wheel well. If my car had extended LCA's to center the wheel it would help.
2) The backspacing is very tight. Another 1/4" to maybe 1/2" might help (so 5.75-6"max). Any more and you will rub the inner frame with the large section width of this tire.

Bottom line it's a very tight fit.

These were used DR's that I got for free. My next set will be 27x11.50's. That should solve all these problems.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by Big Kahuna:
Robert;

I think those tires are going to be a tight fit. I know you were asking about Phil Villa's rear setup but no one answered all your questions.

Phil is a super nice guy but he doesn't come to the forum too often, so shoot him an email at: [email protected]

Good luck, let us know what Phil says.
Phil's email addy has changed. I posted on the Cali-SS digest with a link to this thread. Hopefully he'll post.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Remember tire sizes vary with brand & style !!! There is more than just what is printed on the sidewall to consider.

A 28x11.5 ET Street is about the same size as a 28x9 ET Drag... A 28x12.5 ET Street is smaller than a 28x11.5 ET Drag..

ET streets are measured at the section width & the Drags at the tread. Other brands do similar things as well or advertise the dimensions mounted on different size wheels.

I used to run 15x10" wheels on my Impala with a 6" backspacing which centered the wheel absolutely perfectly on my car. (other cars may vary:))

On those wheels I ran several different tires.

I had 325-50 BFG Drag radials... they would rub slightly on the frame in turns & also the wheel opening moulding when the trunk was loaded.. not much just enough to polish the frame
Sitting at ride height I could just about fit a pinky in there. You have to consider how much sway the cars have in turns... you cant just put something right up to the frame...

I also used 28x12.5 M/T ET Streets on the same wheels & the fitment was almost exactly the same as the 325-50 BFG's. Those two are virtually the same exact dimensions. A 28x13.5 ET Steeet would not fit... I tried & it was tight enough to not be able to bolt the wheel on. Additionally different backspacing would not have helped unless you wanted the tire sticking out past the body which IMO is not cool

Also of note M/T ET Street Radials are slightly larger than their BFG counterparts. I have both BFG & M/T radials in sizes 275-50-15, 275-60-15, 325-50-15 & 295-65-15's & the M/T is slightly larger in all cases except the actual tread width on the BG 295's is slightly wider. (the section isn't) The difference is small but when you start wedging the tires in there with so little clearence it does make a difference.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
wow, enough said, i believe ive got my answer now, thanks guys for all your posts, this will help alot when i choose my wheels soon, thanks, robert

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Robert,
Hey man sorry about the late posting, Noel told me about your Question.
On mine I run the 10" draglite with a 6 1/2" backspacing with the 28-13.5-15 ET street.
Now you understand I narrowed my frame going over the axle to be slightly inside the sheetmetal and I have the METCO 3/4" extended control arms.
The tire mounted has a total width from side to side of 13.7" at the sidewall bulge.
With all that it's still a tight fit.
Hope this helps.
Any other questions you can email me at [email protected]
Take it easy,
Phil V CALI-SS

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks everyone fro their advice, very halpful, now just got to find someone that still has a set available, robert

1 - 10 of 10 Posts