Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I use any SBC 160* T-stat for the LT1?

There was a 'pro and con' discussion on the
LT1 and a standard 160* T-Stat versions.

Cannot find the archive.

Dan

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
No, you need LT-1 specific stat. -reverse flow cooling system-. Hypertech 1008 is one. There is another brand that actually makes the Hypertech one and markets the same unit at a cheaper price. Someone will have that info. There is no pro or con about needing GenII specific.

·
Registered
581 Posts
No, a standard SBC thermostat will not work properly in an LT1/4 or L99 engine. You have to go with one that is proper for the engine commonly available under the Hypertech brand and possibly a few others. The standard SBC thermostat will not work because of the different flow patterns of the LT1 engine. Also the LT1 thermostat uses an o-ring around the thermostat instead of the gasket of the standard SBC engines. - Peter

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
No, you need LT-1 specific stat. -reverse flow cooling system-. Hypertech 1008 is one. There is another brand that actually makes the Hypertech one and markets the same unit at a cheaper price. Someone will have that info. There is no pro or con about needing GenII specific.
Anyone want to chime in on the other 160 stat? $25 + for the Hypertech seems a little .........hyper?

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
I found it.

4216. Motorad brand.

Should be the same as the Hypertech 1008.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I found it.

4216. Motorad brand.

Should be the same as the Hypertech 1008.
i think this is the one thats in mine, it def says motorad can remember the numbers though

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Thanks for the info. Looks like they changed the P/N though. MotoRad 307-160 or 7307-160 for Fail Safe type. Autozone, O'Reillys, etc.

http://www.motoradusa.com/

1 - 7 of 7 Posts