Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there 17 inch (8"wide) steelies avaiable, which fit a lowered Wagon? I am looking for some, but so far, i found nothing......

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So, what would be the backspace to go for, on an 8 inch or for a 9 inch wide wheel, to keep the stock track width?

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
I have 18x9 boss wheels with a 5.5" BS and they look good on my wagon.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Cragar Soft 8's come in 17x9, but I think they are quite heavy.
Yeah, about 40lbs each...

I'm running the "D hole" wheels in 17x9 with 5" of BS. Tires are Falken ZIEX S/TZ 255-50R17s.

/edit: Oops, wrong tire size...

·
Registered
400 Posts
Possible to post more pics? I am looking for good 28" tires in 255/55/17 size.
Oops! Goofed. They're 255/50s...

I was wanting to run 255/55s to keep from throwing my speedo off, but the only 255/55s I could find (locally) were Goodyear Eagles at $220 a tire.

I got the falkens for about $115 each.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
I have 15x8s with 4 in back space and they are TIGHT to the outside. Go with at least a 5 inch backspace as there is a ton of room on the insides of my setup. 5.5 would be even better in the rear.

·
Registered
499 Posts
255/55/17s are darn near impossible to find. There are some Federals in that size also, but they are hard to locate. This is part of the reason I switched over to my 15" N97 wheels......very easy to find tires. I do miss my chrome SS wheels though.

·
Registered
65 Posts
well, i read through again, this probably answers my question.

are they worth the unsprung weight, i guess on these cars maybe i wont notice. the stock 15s steels are pretty darn light.

Yeah, about 40lbs each...

I'm running the "D hole" wheels in 17x9 with 5" of BS. Tires are Falken ZIEX S/TZ 255-50R17s.

/edit: Oops, wrong tire size...

·
Registered
400 Posts
They did reduce my gas mileage through town, didn't seem to affect highway mileage though.

The options on 255/50s have dried up considerably since I installed those wheels in late '09/early '10. I originally went with the Falken Truck tires because they had highest load rating, but now the only options are Kuhmo, BFGs, or Nittos, and no one locally stocks them.

Truth be told, when it comes time for tires again, I'll probably sell these wheels and go with a 17x7 or 17x8, since there seem to be a lot more options for 235s, or I may even drop back down to 15s. I've got a few years to think it over.

EDIT: Keep in mind this thread is over 5 years old, I don't know of the 17x9 5" BS Crager steel wheels are still available.

·
Registered
65 Posts
They did reduce my gas mileage through town, didn't seem to affect highway mileage though.

The options on 255/50s have dried up considerably since I installed those wheels in late '09/early '10. I originally went with the Falken Truck tires because they had highest load rating, but now the only options are Kuhmo, BFGs, or Nittos, and no one locally stocks them.

Truth be told, when it comes time for tires again, I'll probably sell these wheels and go with a 17x7 or 17x8, since there seem to be a lot more options for 235s, or I may even drop back down to 15s. I've got a few years to think it over.

EDIT: Keep in mind this thread is over 5 years old, I don't know of the 17x9 5" BS Crager steel wheels are still available.
thankyou!
i will put this in that soft 8 feedback thread i started. those wheels are still available for sure... maybe i should go with the 8 wide...
seems some folks have had luck with the 285/40 17 fitting, but i gather that depends on the axle, and how the centered it...

nitto offers some in 255/50r17, with the right weight rating too...
i have to order in anything half way decent around here anyway, or have it ordered in.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts