Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apparently with my new rims, I cant fit them on without modifying the wheel skirts in the back of thecar.
They are 17x8 with an offset of 00mm.

Would 235/55/17 be okay? I know you are suppossed to get a wider tire with bigger rims, but is it really that necessary?

If I got the 235/55 there would be no chance of rubbing considering they are teh same width as stock and only about an inch shorter? Or would I be better off going with a wider tire?

I am going in a couple hours, and I knwo this is short notice, but I need to know what tires to get that wont rub after modifying the skirts!??

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
ugh.

Okay, I went to the autobody shop, and the plastic tabs are shaved already and one of the metal locks is cut off already.

Apparently the guy that had teh car before me had 14's on it.

The autobody shop did measurements and told me they should fit, if I got the stock tire width.

Now, problem is, the [tire shop] wont put them on because they said they cant guarantee fitment.

This has been a huge headache so far. NOt really sure what to do, and I have less than a week left to send them back.
It wont let me post a link, but the rims are 17x8 American Racing Novas with 00mm offset. They are aluminum with black accent.

·
Registered
399 Posts
The stock Impala SS wheels are 17x8.5" with a +6mm offset. I had those on my Roadmaster with 235/55-17 tires without any rubbing. I even had a set of 275/40-17 tires on there without any rubbing issues. I don't think a Fleetwood is much different in the rear than a Roadmaster. You should have more than enough room with those 17x8" wheels with the 0MM offset and 235/55-17 tires. Maybe someone else will back me up on that conclusion.

·
Premium Member
2,755 Posts
275/50/17 on Imp wheels fits with just a trimming of the skirt handles. Are yours rubbing on just one side or both?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I havent installed them yet so I dont know if they will rub, I am waiting to, no one will install tires because they cant guarantee fitment. So I need the right tire size? If that makes sense? :/

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Now someone has told me they might rub on the inside as well because of the 00 offset. I don;t know what to do. I either have to send them back today, or buy tires to fit. :/

·
Premium Member
2,755 Posts
PM firewood and see what he thinks. If I can't see the items in question I can't give reliable info. I have to get my hands on things. Strange tire shops, though. Around here they'll mount up damn near anything to anything out of sheer curiosity...

·
Premium Member
10,064 Posts
Apparently with my new rims, I cant fit them on without modifying the wheel skirts in the back of thecar.
They are 17x8 with an offset of 00mm.

Would 235/55/17 be okay? I know you are suppossed to get a wider tire with bigger rims, but is it really that necessary?

If I got the 235/55 there would be no chance of rubbing considering they are teh same width as stock and only about an inch shorter? Or would I be better off going with a wider tire?

I am going in a couple hours, and I knwo this is short notice, but I need to know what tires to get that wont rub after modifying the skirts!??
I'd run the 235/55R17. Should go right on with maybe a little trimming. But nobody can say 100%. Have you tried sliding one under with no tire on it and seeing what kinda space you got?

·
Registered
208 Posts
I have 235/50/18 on mine without trimming the tabs but I don't remember what the offset is on my 18x8 rims. I just took a chance and they fit.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Consider...

275/50R17 if you'd like clearance and the ability to get the car aligned should you have lowered springs. My '94 Fleetwood Brougham came with Eibach springs and stock tires on stock chromed SS wheels. It was so damn low there was no way to get it on an alignment machine, at least to the many shops I tried here in Jacksonville. Several were the best I'd used in the past for a "normal" alignment. If you cannot get the car on the rack it just does not work. I was ready to pull the Eibach springs and toss them for stock SS springsI but got rid of the stock SS tires and hunted for ones with the proper height instead. The 275/50 tires did the trick. I eventually swapped the chrome SS combo to the wagon and the wagon's vintage TQD 15 inch rims & tires to the Fleetwood. No issues either location.

If you never align the suspension I guess it does not matter what you run for rims and tires if you can stuff 'em in the space. The '96 Brougham has stock SS springs and 18 inch OZ rims with 235/50 tires. They fit. The car can be aligned with no issues.

Good luck with making a choice.

Richard Snipes
4501 Safari in Jax, FL

1 - 10 of 10 Posts