Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So tomorrow I'm hopefully going to be picking up a 1991 Brougham 5.7. Its not in the best of shape cosmetically, its got a fair amount of rust, but mechanically it seems fine except for one little thing, he said the brake line going to the pass. side front has a leak. Now he has offered to let me use his driveway to fix it but its only about 2 miles to my house from his. So i guess my questions are, do you think i could make the drive home using the parking brake? Or if i decide to just fix it there how much is involved in replace/patching a brake(I've never done it before, though i am fairly good with repairs)? Any input would be helpful,l thank you

·
Registered
10,921 Posts
It depend on the actual issue. If it is cheap enough, have it towed to your house and fix it there. Doing the work 2 miles from home can get to be a pain, when you need something you forgot. It can become 20 miles quickly.

We do not know where you are located, so have no idea what the issues might be with the brakes. It could be anything from a leaky caliper, to a rusted line. (Caliper = easy, quick, line = PITA, custom fab, difficult install)

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
unless you live at the bottom of a hill and the car is on top, you should be okay for a short drive, just leave a ton of room, lol.

I drove a car with no rear brakes, but most braking is on the front wheels esp with a disc/drum setup.

·
Premium Member
2,755 Posts
I've drove more than one barn find home with little to no brakes. Sometimes they developed brakes along the way. Sometimes they even became permanent(wheel cylinders that hadn't moved in 20 years froze solid). :D If it's all back roads it's probably not the worst stunt you'll ever pull. Easier if you have a buddy with an old truck ahead to bump in to but if you have a buddy and a truck why don't you have a tow strap?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the replies guys. i went over to his place today and we managed to get that line changed out, but when we went to bleed them on of the lines for the rear blew. so with that and all the underside rust i didn't notice before i felt that it was best to pass on it. i would have absolutely loved it, especially the sunroof, but needed too much work and too much rust :(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts