Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all im new here but not new to the style of cars. I had a 91 caprice and a 93 fleetwood before and love the body styles of these cars. I justed moved and I found a 91 buick estate wagon for sale at a local towing yard/car sales lot. It looks really clean except for a small dent on the pass. side quarter and the front driver seat needs help but the back seat and pass. front is near perfect condition. I called the owner and he wants $1300 for it but when I went to the office 2 young guys said he was selling it for $1200. I havent driven it but I have seen him drive it around and the 2 young guys did say it runs good but tried to make me look at a ex-taxi van because its newer cwm8... anyway here are some pictures and I wanted to know if there is any known problems with these models that I should be aware of when I go to test drive.

btw I did the carfax and it came back clean minus alot of owners(7 in total but 4 are dealers it looks like)

Attachments

·
Registered
317 Posts
welcome and congrats on first post!

I have a 91 woodie exactly like that and while I paid a little more my mileage reflects that. Without know the miles on it I can't tell ya if it's a good deal but judging from the look of the interior it either hasn't been very well taken care of or it's just dirty...either way it's bargaining room.

Do a search or talk to some of the guys on here on what to look for as potential problem spots i.e. rust, etc. Welcome again!

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I think I would pass on that car, the interior is beat. Look at the steering wheel. If the previous owner took care of the rest of the car the way he did the interior, it is no bargain.

Also with the 91's, it is a little lean on power. Assuming that car has average mileage, I wouldn't pay anymore than $650-tops!

Keep looking, don't jump at the first car you see.

Tom C.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
I think I would pass on that car, the interior is beat. Look at the steering wheel. If the previous owner took care of the rest of the car the way he did the interior, it is no bargain.

Also with the 91's, it is a little lean on power. Assuming that car has average mileage, I wouldn't pay anymore than $650-tops!

Keep looking, don't jump at the first car you see.

Tom C.
+1

btw where is the car from? rust issues figure LARGELY in what I would pay for one.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well the car is from SC but there was one owner in new york for 2 years. It is now in south florida but doesnt look to bad for rust(surface rust on some parts of the frame but not bad at all).

thanks for your help you guys..I was going to offer him $800 but maybe ill keep looking :(

·
Premium Member
4,152 Posts
Hello all im new here but not new to the style of cars. I had a 91 caprice and a 93 fleetwood before and love the body styles of these cars. I justed moved and I found a 91 buick estate wagon for sale at a local towing yard/car sales lot. It looks really clean except for a small dent on the pass. side quarter and the front driver seat needs help but the back seat and pass. front is near perfect condition. I called the owner and he wants $1300 for it but when I went to the office 2 young guys said he was selling it for $1200. I havent driven it but I have seen him drive it around and the 2 young guys did say it runs good but tried to make me look at a ex-taxi van because its newer cwm8... anyway here are some pictures and I wanted to know if there is any known problems with these models that I should be aware of when I go to test drive.

btw I did the carfax and it came back clean minus alot of owners(7 in total but 4 are dealers it looks like)
if thats the one in key largo south of the cvs i would pass too.thats been there for a VERY long time.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
if thats the one in key largo south of the cvs i would pass too.thats been there for a VERY long time.
you got it.. right after the cvs around mm 97 or so. I just moved to key largo from miami as of the 1st of oct and your right its been here as far as I been coming about almost 2 months sitting there. my first impression of it being there so long was no one is really looking for a old wagon with a v8 anymore so that was why its sitting. there could be another reason :/ so i guess ill pass on it.

I really wanted a wagon and it was nice that this one is just 2 miles from my house. there is some in miami and naples area but more money and farther of course. theres one in west palm 91 olds wagon but its $3000..

http://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/ctd/1422928781.html

·
Registered
205 Posts
Welcome and if possible i would go for a "younger" wagon (93 and up). The 350 engine in these cars makes a lot of difference. (compared to the 305)
just my 2 cents

·
Registered
80 Posts
Welcome and if possible i would go for a "younger" wagon (93 and up). The 350 engine in these cars makes a lot of difference. (compared to the 305)
just my 2 cents
You mean '92 and up. '91 was the only 305 year for the Roadmaster, but the OCC ran them in '91 & '92, thats why I wouldn't buy one unless it needed a motor and was cheap.

·
Premium Member
4,152 Posts
took me about 6 month of hard searching to find mine.found lots of nice wagons but they where ether across the country or really high.you will find one.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Yeah, keep looking. If you are wanting a beater then maybe you could get it pretty cheap and drive it til its dead. But if you want something nice be patient. Chances are you would still be working on that one months from now when you find the right one that needs next to nothing. Especially in Florida, so many retired people down there.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I test drove it...

cwm3 I'm in love.. it drives really nice. It did need a jump to start it but it could be because he doesnt move it daily. It shifted good, ran good, ac is ice cold, and all the windows work.

Engine sounded good( like the caprice and fleetwood I owned). No ticking, smoke, ect. Didnt overheat( I left it running after Ii drove it). the only things I forgot to do was check the transmission fluid but the tranny shifted good. The 2nd thing I forgot was to see how many miles it had (I feel dumb about that one).

The main things it looks like it needs in front seats rewrapped or change them and a new carpet. The rear looks like he never used it(seats and cargo area look untouched).

He will take $1000... Still undecided :(

·
Registered
129 Posts
Well I test drove it...

cwm3 I'm in love.. it drives really nice. It did need a jump to start it but it could be because he doesnt move it daily. It shifted good, ran good, ac is ice cold, and all the windows work.

Engine sounded good( like the caprice and fleetwood I owned). No ticking, smoke, ect. Didnt overheat( I left it running after Ii drove it). the only things I forgot to do was check the transmission fluid but the tranny shifted good. The 2nd thing I forgot was to see how many miles it had (I feel dumb about that one).

The main things it looks like it needs in front seats rewrapped or change them and a new carpet. The rear looks like he never used it(seats and cargo area look untouched).

He will take $1000... Still undecided :(
It still seems kind of high priced. I would really hold on for a '92 and up because of the larger engine. Then again, I don't know the mileage. If it's under 100,000 miles, $1,000 may not be too bad a price. I'd say it all depends on mileage at this point to decide if $1,000 is a good deal, or too much. The 1991 RMW is a lot less desirable since it has the smaller engine, so it's worth a bit less.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I'd say it's ok for a daily driver, but me personally, I'd take one look at the front seats and barf. There's no excuse for leather to look like that. Cleaning and conditioning you can make them last.

Re-upholstering those seats in leather again will probably cost more than you paid for the car. Not worth it.

Again, sure, a daily driver or car for work, hauling etc, but not as a project car. Just too much darn money to be spent on the interior.

If it DOES have a 305, like has been posted, then that's another reason to find at least a 350 5.7 litre, as the 350 TBI engines (in my opinion) are a really solid, reliable tough truck engine.

They aren't the most flexible in coaxing more power out of them, but they make perfectly reasonable die hard motoring.

If you want to do a tuning project car, try finding a 94 up Rodmaster wagon, sedan or fleetwood with the 350 5.7 litre Lt1 corvette/camaro based engine. You can have WAY more fun freeing up HP from those bad boys!!

PS, try looking in Arizona too...basically anywhere there is lots of oldies and hot dry climates haha!:D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.