Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me their personal experiences with the 91 Caprice Classic,
like the Positives and the Negatives, because i am looking in buying one.
Thanks

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well if I had to go back and buy a wagon again I probably would have been looking for a 94 so I can get the lt1 but I practically stole mine.

125,000 miles not a thing wrong with it mechanically interior is nice and it has slight hail damage and I only gave $2000 for mine. On the way home from buying it I still had the miles on the window and I had a truck full of guys ask me if I'd take $3000 and I said nope because I know what kinda deal I got.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My 1991 Caprice was the best B body I have ever owned for quality and reliability. That would include the 2 1994's I currently own, the 1995 SS I sold, and several older Caprices. The 1991 had 107,000 miles on it when I traded it in for my white 1994. No squeaks, rattles, rust, everything worked (original), no wind noise (a big complaint of mine on the 94-96), and ran great (305).

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I still want to hear from more 91 Caprice Owners,but these are the specs on teh car i was looking at
91 Chev Caprice Classic, leather, power everything, has 105000kms on it, just a couple scratches on the car, and it has the 305, 5.0L and a towing package (about 65600 miles) and they are asking $6000 firm Canadian (about $3750 american), so if you want to comment on that too, that's be great

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I forgot to mention that he is 80 years old the guy seliing it

U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dude, my 91 has original engine tranny and just this past summer it needed new axles after 220K miles. It looks to me that this could be one of the lowest mileage 91 Civie around. I say snag it.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
my buddy has a 91 with 170k on it................it was his parents before it was his........best car they've ever owned........i saw a 93 with 27k on it once for under 3k

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just depends on what you get. If you get a 9C1, watch out. I paid $650 for my 92 Caprice and had to put a new engine in it, new exhaust, new shocks, new rear-end, i busted a motor mount, u-joints were shot, but it had 151,000. I had to put a lotta munny into it, but we got it going.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i got my 92 caprice from a 80 year old guy and it runs great. this is my first car and god i love the b body's. just one thing to watch out for, older people have a little thing when it comes to riding the brakes. like on mine i need new rotors (i can drive find with them now but im going to need new ones soon) because him riding the brakes heated them up so much they got all messed up i cant even start to explain how. but all in all i love the car and im glad i bought it.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've got a 91 Caprice I bought with 150,000 miles to use as a beater. It burns oil, leaks oil, rattles and is rusty behind the back wheels but it's just like the Energizer Bunny.Plus when it dies it will be a great parts car for my other two B-bodies. The first thing I would do if it was a keeper is change the cluster to a Roadmaster unit with the tach and gauges. I see Randode did it to his and that looks GREAT! Randode, if you read this can you post about this swap? I have a friend with a mint 91 who has an interest in doing this.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My 1992 has been awesome to me.. well up till it hit the 300,000+ mark.. now i am in the process of restoring all the drivetrain and suspension.

But yea, if it's got low milage and runs/drives good scoop it up.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Very happy with my civilian '91. I've seen tons of 91s here with 300,000+ kms on the orginial engine and drivetrain.
I don't know much about car prices in Canada of course, but if it was for sale over here that price wouldn't sound excessive to me for such a low milage car.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Viperac, i never noticed you were from Canada, but 6000firm is way to much for the car you are wanting to buy. I got my 9c1 from auction for 2gs, and it has just over 200,000kms. I would keep looking.. and try and find a 94-96 Cap with the Lt1. just my .02.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
someone is selling a 96 caprice, a ghost cop car, with an 350 cu in and a 5.7 L lt1 engine in it has 178000kms
the cops used it for 2 years and this 23 year old bought it, it needs a tuneup, driver side fender, a new light for that side and needs a new rad, she is asking $6000 cdn for it. THe problem i have with it, is that the tuneup are bitches to do and i have to fix the body damage and replace the rad, now i don;t know, but the engine could croack anytime, so i rather go with a 91 car that has 105000kms owned by an 80year Old then a 96 with 178000kms on it owned by the cops and then a 23 year old.

But more feedback, this is great! Thanks everyone!

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Honestly, you'd be happier with a 5.7-LT1 than the 5.0-L03. I know I wish I would've taken abit longer and found a 95 96. But than again, my 92 is starting to look better everyday. But as for the engine/tranny, so wish I had a LT. If your looking to do your cap just for looks, than go for the 91. But if your wanting to do it for power.. keep shopping.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The main reason for my getting a car like this is so it can fit my A**, i am 6' 7", and one hell of a big guy and the only other choices i have for sedans are the Crown Vic and the Grand Marquis, but i like the chev's and if something fits and has decent gas mileage, i'd get that, sure power rocks, but i don;t intend on going more than 170 km/h, if ever, i ant to keep this car for a lo9ng time! but yeah i am still looking

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i say wait and get a newer one, i got my 94 9c1 with 132,xxx for 3 grand, only parts ive HAD to do, not by choice where starter plugs and wires!

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have no complaints about my '91. Also purchased from an 80 year old man.
Ahh, the old Roadmaster cluster swap again. You need the cluster (with about 6" of wire hanging from the plugs), and also a dash panel from a 91-93 9C1. You have to cut ALL the wires going to your old panel, then splice them ALL onto the plug for the new cluster. I can fax a couple of schematics to whoever needs em. E-mail me.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My 91 has also been a GREAT CAR! Sure, I've had tranny problems, and fragged an axle at around 80k miles, but otherwise, no big problems. It was originally an oil field car and was bought by the guy who drove it when he retired. Then he got too old to drive and I picked it up from his daughter. It had 72k mileso the clock then and now it's got 105k.

Power wise, the TBI305 is NOTHING compared to the LT1. PERIOD. However, there are several folks on the GM_TBI list (see my sig) who are getting the TBI 350s to run with the LT1s.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i got my 91 caprice 9c1 for $2350 rides nice haven't had a problem with it yet 105k when i brought it and that was nov about 107 now. only thing i want done to it is get it repainted the cops that drove did a dangerous job and i got black marks all over my car. only real problem is the gas gauge it broke after a half tank used the corrector but just give me accurate readings when almost empty. still the guage waves when i press on pedal and apply brakes.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts