Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Club member of ours is having some issues that unfortunately can't seem to figure out. Any experts with this type please chime in your expertise.

Engine Type:
http://images.search.yahoo.com/images/v … =12bdi8or4
Here are the symptoms, after sitting for a day or two, the car runs for like 5-10 minutes and then shuts down.
He has replaced the following:
Battery
Alternator
Starter
Air Filter
Air Control Valve
EGR Valve
Fuel Filter
*** Now a note was that when the car shuts off, and he pours gas into the TBI injector, its starts up but can only keep the engine on if the gas pedal is pressed down. Upon release, the car shuts down, and can’t re-start again.

A couple ideas was that it could be the coil or a Fuel Pump.

Any ideas fellas? Thanx in advance.

·
Premium Member
9,190 Posts
Good Club member of ours is having some issues that unfortunately can't seem to figure out. Any experts with this type please chime in your expertise.

Engine Type:
http://images.search.yahoo.com/images/v … =12bdi8or4
Here are the symptoms, after sitting for a day or two, the car runs for like 5-10 minutes and then shuts down.
He has replaced the following:
Battery
Alternator
Starter
Air Filter
Air Control Valve
EGR Valve
Fuel Filter
*** Now a note was that when the car shuts off, and he pours gas into the TBI injector, its starts up but can only keep the engine on if the gas pedal is pressed down. Upon release, the car shuts down, and can’t re-start again.

A couple ideas was that it could be the coil or a Fuel Pump.

Any ideas fellas? Thanx in advance.
i spoke with him last night, it was the fuel pump he is going to be replacing...

or the other night....

·
Registered
540 Posts
I'd strongly suspect the coolant temperature sensor. It's screwed into the intake manifold on the TBI cars.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Also have the ICM tested before dropping the tank.

I've had quite a few GM TBI vehicles that I have changed the FP out on due to the same issue described, only for them to repeat the same issue later on the same day. The ICM is under the dist. cap on TBI's.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanx fellas, I have posted the needed information down to him.

Wolf, your the man, thanx for continue following up with him. He seems somewhat fustrated to the point of letting her go!!

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
if it starts with no aid (fuel down tbi's throat) then cuts out after starting, the fuel pump relay drops out due to the ecm telling it to, then a parallell circuit through the oil pump switch mounted behind the intake on the drivers side takes over sending fuel to the pump(3 wires, and includes the oil pressure warningswitch/sender). A good test is use the service jumper located by the under hood fuse panel and a battery hot terminal. If when jumped out, the pump runs no matter what, it's the switch, if no run at all without help, its the pump. Make sure to replace the small hose inside the tank with fuel injection hose rated to withstand ethanol fuel, or you will be pulling the tank gain.

Chris

1 - 6 of 6 Posts