Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
This car sits way too low for me and bottoms out on everything.
Before you commit to replacement parts I suggest you get the car on the ground and check what you have against FACTORY heights. Adjust your for your wheel height as well.

My 94 FSM (in the steering section) has these measurements for the Chevy and RM wagons:
29.4"-29.2 to top of front fender arch
21.9"-21.7 to top off rear fender arch (may be a different measure for a OCC}
9.9"-10.4" rocker panel to ground between front and rear wheels.

I do not auto cross or drag. I changed from the hotchkis drop springs to high (Lb) spring rate springs near stock height so my hitch (frame brace) would stop scraping on drive way ramps, speed bumps, etc Roads are bad in my area and I wanted full suspension travel more than whatever benefits a lowered car would have.

Just some suggestions from a sedan owner.

·
Premium Member
7,075 Posts
Tire Car Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire

His caliper position , to me, heavily suggest beltech 2 inch drop spindles.
As for lowered vs stock height , we all have different opinions of what low is and what is OK.
Mine , lowered as much as I ever would , never hits the ground. That said, never tow anything.
My car would never be up for any trailer we have.;)

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Vehicle

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
As for lowered vs stock height , we all have different opinions of what low is and what is OK.
Tire sizes, suspension height, spring rates, different objectives, and objective tolerances of the driver make this subject very hard to discuss in printed media. Before I changed my suspension I looked over a lot of threads here and was also in a position that if I made a bad choice(for my objectives) I could afford to replace parts and try again. The labour was free (me).

What makes the discussion near impossible is if changes are not compared against a common reference, IE stock.

but the front spindles say Belltech on them(maybe they are drop spindles?),
I just went and checked I have drop spindles due to the 90 degree brake calipers
The information that the calipers on the Belltechs are clocked differently is information that I will add to my suspension information.

Without checking I would have guessed Belltech has not made a non drop spindle for the b body. Maybe someone could confirm this?

·
Registered
12,356 Posts
Tire sizes, suspension height, spring rates, different objectives, and objective tolerances of the driver make this subject very hard to discuss in printed media. Before I changed my suspension I looked over a lot of threads here and was also in a position that if I made a bad choice(for my objectives) I could afford to replace parts and try again. The labour was free (me).

What makes the discussion near impossible is if changes are not compared against a common reference, IE stock.

The information that the calipers on the Belltechs are clocked differently is information that I will add to my suspension information.

Without checking I would have guessed Belltech has not made a non drop spindle for the b body. Maybe someone could confirm this?
The comparison between stock and drop spindles was made on page one. His wheel arch to center of the hub (correct method of measuring drop, eliminating tire and wheel differences) is approximately fourteen inches compared to my STOCK OCC, for reference, at approximately sixteen inches. That, with the position of the brake calipers, would indicate having two inch drop spindles, and stock front springs. To return to stock height, he would only require stock spindles, To get the current stance he has, the rear would require two inch drop springs to make front and rear drop the same amount. To return the rear to stock height, he only needs to install a set of stock rear springs. The camber and caster should remain in spec, and an alignment would be recommended to verify that the alignment did not change, or correct it if it did. His cost would be for a set of stock front spindles, and stock rear springs.

PS. Make sure you get the spindles with the anitlock sensors (91-96), and that they are in serviceable condition. They are at best difficult to remove, and the front left seems to be the only one currently available new.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Thanks for all the replies everyone. To clear a few things up, the car is currently up on jack stands so that I could get under and fix a trans leak (speedo sender housing was loose) as well as change the oil and crawl around under just to see what condition everything was in, the exhaust consists of 7 different pieces/types of metal from the manifolds to the tailpipe with more leaks that I can count. Once I lower it back down under its own weight I will be able to get much better measurements all around.

As for ABS, whomever did the work prior to me chose to cut the ABS sensor wires and zip tied them to the frame to keep them out of the way, poor hack job but it is what it is.

We have a pretty decent salvage yard just up the road from us that I want to try and look at this week and maybe get lucky for some stock spindles, if that doesn't pan out I will check car-part.com as @95wagon suggested as well as think about the offers for private sale from both @Fred Kiehl and @Caddylack.

Personally, and for where we live, (2 miles of dirt road to get to pavement) the car is too low and handles terrible. The handling I attribute to 3 blown shocks and one broken one, as well as every rubber bushing worn out. As for the height, right now it is too low, I don't necessairly need it back to stock height but that seems like the logical starting point to at least help this old girl get back on the road. I also want to say thank you to everyone, I've been on jeep forums for years and to find people that are this willing to help with out trying to prove how smart they are is very rare.

·
Registered
12,356 Posts
What’s the best lowering springs to get for 96 impala that would be good for 22” rims
You should start a thread on this subject, and not hijack this one.

Reactions: Sinister

·
Premium Member
7,075 Posts
It may be possible to go with coil-overs which would allow the use of the drop spindles. However, they'd be harder on the wallet than junk yard stock spindles.
Using coil overs , or regular springs for that matter, to raise the ride height higher than the drop spindles lowered the car is not a good plan.
The front end geometry would be worse than stock having a terrible camber curve.

The stock front end likes more neg camber gain which can be gotten by longer upper ball joints or a moderate spring lowering.

Jacking up the front to counteract the spindles will have the upper ball joints way lower than the inner upper pivots.

Sell the beltechs offset the replacement stock spindles

·
Registered
12,356 Posts
It may be possible to go with coil-overs which would allow the use of the drop spindles. However, they'd be harder on the wallet than junk yard stock spindles.
The lower arm shock mounts are not designed to withstand the pressure of the spring on coilovers. The metal will distort, and tear, causing damage that would require new arms.

Reactions: GoremanX

·
Registered
995 Posts
Thank you for the wise insight on the affects caused by coil overs when raising a front end. Am I understanding this right that any coil overs for the B bodies should only be used with after market control arms up front?

·
Premium Member
7,075 Posts
To clarify ,if your question was directed at me , raising the front end to counteract too much drop from a drop spindle no matter how you do it , is not a good plan.
Springs, spacers, coil overs,
the worse geometry result is the same.

The other posts about the lower arm shock mount area not being up to the task of holding the cars weight long term is accurate and more than one here had their stock arms rip through .

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Well quick update, I was able to source a set of spindles from a salvage yard near me and they should ship out tomorrow. Very excited to get this back on the road. I am going to pick up some stock replacement shocks as well but now my next big thing to source are stock height coils for the rear. From my limited research I think I wanted to get Moog CC625's but I don't think I can find them? You wagon experts are these similar enough? https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mev-sms625v

Or am I way off and need to look at something else?

·
Registered
12,356 Posts
Maybe the JY has a set of Caprice springs. They will work until you can get a set of correct ones. I was looking at some springs, and it appears that the sedan and wagon springs are about the same. You could put internal air bags in them, and adjust the ride with the airbags.

You may get cut off wires on your spindles, because most JYs do not take the care to do the best job. You can splice wires to them, and use a waterproof connector in place of the original crumbly ones.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts