Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Edit: Realized it won't work. The radiators are the same width, however the one I just got has fins that wrap around the sides and wont allow it to slide into place. I ordered an after market radiator and it has a transmission oil cooler and an engine oil cooler. So I do need to know if the plugs for the engine oil cooler can be bought? I'm not sure if the ones in my radiator can be removed in order to be re-used. I'll leave the pictures up just to show the differences between these radiators.

First off there are 2 spots on driver side of my radiator for hardlines, but they are plugged. However, they are open and used for something on the Brougham radiator. I was hoping I could just plug these up since they aren't used on my car. But I don't know if that will affect anything.

Second there is a sensor on my radiator just below the upper trans hardline. And on the Brougham radiator there is only a small cylinder protruding from the radiator in that spot. I don't know if anything even attaches there.

I really hope I can make this work, please help. Here are a couple pics that I hope will help.

This is my stock radiator. The plugged parts I was referring are on the left side in this picture.
IMG_0974 by

The Brougham radiator
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/8426760179/]

IMG_0975 by

Close up of my stock rad, you can see the sensor in the bottom of the photo.
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/8426760727/]

IMG_0976 by

Close up of Brougham radiator and lack of sensor. [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/8426761147/]

IMG_0977 by http://www.flickr.com/people/[email protected]/

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The radiator I got has fins that wrap around the sides that is not on my radiator. It won't even slide in the core support. Which doesnt make sense to me because I wrecked several months ago and put a core support in that pulled from a Brougham and re-used my radiator.

No one buy a 93 fleetwood. Hold out until you find a 94-96. This car is too much of a hassle to find parts.

·
Registered
24 Posts
1993 base Fleetwood & 1993 Fleetwood Brougham's use the same rad, you just have the wrong replacement rad. Up here finding parts for L05 or LT1 Caddy's is about the same.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1993 base Fleetwood & 1993 Fleetwood Brougham's use the same rad, you just have the wrong replacement rad. Up here finding parts for L05 or LT1 Caddy's is about the same.
Well, it came out of a 93 Brougham, I don't know what to tell you. I got an aftermarket radiator from AutoZone, and now no leaks.

·
Registered
24 Posts
If that came out of a 93 than it was wrong to begin with. The GM FSM does not show or list 2 different rads for that model year! The only other listing I could find for a different rad for that year was for the stretch limo's with HD cooling systems. BTW why would you buy a used rad? cwm6

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If that came out of a 93 than it was wrong to begin with. The GM FSM does not show or list 2 different rads for that model year! The only other listing I could find for a different rad for that year was for the stretch limo's with HD cooling systems. BTW why would you buy a used rad? cwm6
I can't speak to whether or not it was wrong to begin with. And I bought a used radiator for the same reason anyone would buy used parts, to save money. I returned the radiator for a refund, so I am not out anything but some time.

·
Registered
10,988 Posts
Your OEM radiator looks the same as the B-body radiators for the LO3/5 cars. I probably is the same part number.

There are a lot of under the hood parts from B-body LO3/5 cars that will fit the LO5 in the 93 Caddy. The FEAD is different, the wiring harness, fans, and the Cruise control is different. Mechanically the rest of the engine is the same as the LO5. The body except the engine harness is pretty much the same as the 94-96.

·
Registered
131 Posts
There is only one difference compared Caprice radiator.
Caprice has one more inlet under filler neck, for a heater return hose. But you might plug it without any problem. Also if your car doesn't have an oil cooler, and I'll get the radiator which has one, you might leave the holes unplug

1 - 9 of 9 Posts