Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does my 93 caprice wagon suppossed to have mechanical fan and electric. Its a 305. I keep seeing people talking about there electric fans. Mine dont have any. Thanks

·
Registered
10,905 Posts
Your 93 had an engine driven fan. If you want an easy install electric fan setup you can get the fans, mounts, harness, and the connector with a nice long pigtail, from a 93 Fleetwood. You need to augment that with a pair of power relays, two 30 amp circuit breakers, and a variable temperature sensor. You should be able to get the relays for about $10 each with a base, and the circuit breakers for about $5 each. The sensor is about $35 (JEGS 52125). You will also need some wire, solder, shrink tubing, and the use of a soldering gun, to hook everything up (maybe another $20 if you have a soldering iron). You can also use crimp butt joints and suitcase connectors if you do not mind looking at them. To dress it up, get some loom, to cover the wires (it also protects them from heat).

If you decide to go that route, I can give you instructions to make it simple. You can do all of the wiring up to the plug for the fans before putting the fans in the car. Then, when the wiring is done, install the fans and plug in the connector. That part will take about an hour.

So far, With my AC on, that operates the secondary fan continuously, I have found my temp to be much steadier, and the primary fan does not come on very often. I have yet to experience Florida summer heat with the fans in place, but if the FW was OK, I should be just fine.

·
Registered
10,905 Posts
i have a 92 wagon and a 94 caprice parts car. can i swap the electric fans and what not from the 94 to mine?
You can put the 94 fans in at 92, but you will have to figure out a way to mount the fans at the end tanks. There two screws that hold each fan, one on the top of the radiator, and one at the side on the end tank. The bottom fits on a bracket hooked to the bottom of the radiator. You also need the top cover for the radiator.

You will have to do the same wiring as the FW fans. Mounting the 93 FW fans is much easier, because the FW has the same mounting holes as the 91-93 B-bodies. The 91-93 radiators may not be interchangeable with the 94-96 units. You will have to check them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts