Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've hung onto this car for a while, but now I'll offer it for sale:

1994 Caprice LS B4U, Dark grey green metallic from the factory.

Rough around the edges, interior pretty beat, 259K miles.

Runs good but the trans is toast.EDIT- I have a SERTA transmission which I am going to install shortly, so I have adjusted the price accordingly.Please don't scream at me saying I'm asking too much. I'm not forced to sell it at all and that's what I want for it end of discussion.

Southern car so no rust issues.

$1000

Thanks for looking.

You can email me direct at [email protected], thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
777 Posts
What motor?

Is this an LT1?

·
Registered
194 Posts
I thought all B4Us were LT1, is that right?

·
Registered
777 Posts
B4u

The B4U is a towing package designation. Just means it has the beefed up suspension similar to the 9C1. But it doesn't mean it has an LT1 The VIN is the tell tale sign. If you have a "P" in the 7th digit (or close to that), the it s an LT1. If not, bummer! :)

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
The B4U is a towing package designation. Just means it has the beefed up suspension similar to the 9C1. But it doesn't mean it has an LT1 The VIN is the tell tale sign. If you have a "P" in the 7th digit (or close to that), the it s an LT1. If not, bummer! :)
I believe all B4U's have the LT1. If the 8th digit is a "P" then it is an LT1. Good luck with the sale.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I believe all B4U's have the LT1. If the 8th digit is a "P" then it is an LT1. Good luck with the sale.
thats what I assumed ... I cant imagine putting an L99 in a tow package car.

Sorry for jacking your thread Tyler, good luck with your sale.
Looks like you have a fine car there for a great price.

·
Registered
861 Posts
come on man this is crap info and you are not gonna buy **** anyway

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I know a lot of people here enjoy replying nastily to some erroneous info, but I'm a courteous guy and I'll put you in the know about these cars:

To start off, it's the 8th digit that is the engine code in the VIN. W is L99, P is Lt1. This one is definitely P.

In a '94-96 civilian caprice sedan(that means no 9C1 and no Impala SS), the ONLY way you got an LT1 engine was to order the B4U sport suspension, which was packaged with other MANDATORY options. Perhaps the correct way to say that would be if you ordered an LT1 engine, you GOT the other stuff along with it. I'll give you some examples via my VIN and compnine:

In 1994 there were 96,919 Caprice sedans built. I'm not sure if it includes Impala SS production, I don't think it does. It for sure does NOT include any wagon production.

Out of those 96,919 Caprice sedans:

6,932 had B4U sport suspension pkg and FE3 suspension code.
6,381 had both V08 HD cooling and V92 trailer towing package

You could not get an LT1 without those 4 options in place.LT1 civilian caprices also have:

GW9 2.93 rear axle ratio, G80 limited slip, JA2 HD brakes, KC4 engine oil cooler, KD1 transmission cooler and N10 dual exhaust.

My particular car is one of 7,804 DGGM non-SS's and one of 2,635 with beige non-leather interior.

These numbers are from compnine so I can't swear they are totally correct.

I did make sure it still has the "327" LT1 block in it and it's there.

·
Registered
10,956 Posts
if you remove the air pump/bracket a BIG 327 is also casted in that area. When you look under the block by the three freeze out plugs on each side, "327" should also be visible.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts