Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently took possesion of a 1994 Chevrolet Caprice Classic LS 9C1 from my grandfather. I always wanted the car but after doing some research about the car, I wondered how rare a fully loaded Caprice Classic LS was with the 9C1 package. I believe the story on the car was a dealer ordered a city/police cruiser and when it arrived it was wasn't what the city had ordered. The dealer then sold the car to my grandfather for a fair deal to move it off the lot.

Are the more Caprice Classic LS 9C1 with leather, power everything, tow package, and a LT1 out there? Am I sitting on a unicorn? Or is this just a nice, clean version of a common vehicle?

·
Premium Member
586 Posts
The tow package was never offically compatiable with the 9C1 cars. Your best bet is to take a photo and post it of the SPID on the trunk lid that lists all the RPO code your car was built with.

Some things to keep in mind:

V92 Tow Package LT1 cars have a passengerside clutch fan

9C1 cars have green silicone coolant hoses and a single silver headed key for all locks including ignition. The word "Certified" is printed on instrument cluster, just below the digital speedometer.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Agencies often order a loaded, leather equipped, pursuit vehicle, for the Chief / Sheriff.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
The tow package was never offically compatiable with the 9C1 cars. Your best bet is to take a photo and post it of the SPID on the trunk lid that lists all the RPO code your car was built with.

Some things to keep in mind:

V92 Tow Package LT1 cars have a passengerside clutch fan

9C1 cars have green silicone coolant hoses and a single silver headed key for all locks including ignition. The word "Certified" is printed on instrument cluster, just below the digital speedometer.
The single key was an option on 9c1's. I have 2 with it and 1 without.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went out and took some photos of the car. Sorry to for the awful images. It is in storage for the winter.

One of my questions is whether this car is actually a 9C1. According to the VIN it is but according to the parts id sticker in the trunk it is not. I really want to figure out some of the history of this car. It belonged to my grandfather and I hope to hang on it for a long time.

Images: http://s1065.photobucket.com/user/robwirtjes/library/1994 Chevrolet Caprice Classic LS

·
Premium Member
586 Posts
There's no 9C1 code on the SPID, you have a retail Caprice. Still nothing wrong with having a sweet Tow Package Caprice Classic like yours :)

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
I went out and took some photos of the car. Sorry to for the awful images. It is in storage for the winter.

One of my questions is whether this car is actually a 9C1. According to the VIN it is but according to the parts id sticker in the trunk it is not. I really want to figure out some of the history of this car. It belonged to my grandfather and I hope to hang on it for a long time.

Images: http://s1065.photobucket.com/user/robwirtjes/library/1994 Chevrolet Caprice Classic LS
There is no VIN for 9c1's. If it has an LT1, it is a B4U. Look for that on the SPID sticker. That is the sport/tow package. The single mechanical fan is another tipoff.

·
Registered
449 Posts
It's not a 9C1. Do the seats have steel plates in the back? Does it have rear disks or drums?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Nice Caprice but its not a 9C1

The Spid tells all. As stated the car is a B4U or Tow Package Caprice. It has an LT1, and Posi rear end from the factory (G80).

Looks like a nice clean car.

There were a small % of fully loaded 9C1's built. I personally drove a couple. I vividly remember a Black on Grey leather 95 9C1. It had all the SEO options with Civilian Leather interior and carpets. Really wish I had bought that car.

·
Premium Member
592 Posts
Very nice 94 B4U Caprice. Has the QMU black side wall tires like my B4U.Much less common most were white wall tires.
Jim

·
Premium Member
592 Posts
Wirtjes,

Carefully remove the trim sheet from under right front seat.It's a nice piece of documentation to save.Sounds like you have a nice Caprice.
I ran your VIN on compnine.Here's some cool info/numbers........

for 1994 only 6,932 B4U Caprice's were built.

With your's built on 3/22/94.

Only 219 1994 B4U's built in your color/trim combo of white/blue leather.

And only 31 B4U's built in white/blue leather/black side wall 235/70R/15 tires.

Not that any of this translates into big $$ value for your Caprice. My experience is an identical condition Impala SS worth twice as much as a same condition/mileage Caprice LT1/B4U.

How many miles are on it? You've got a nice unique B-Body worth saving and taking care of! Jim

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow! Thanks for all of info! It is a little disappointing the story the dealer told my grandfather wasn't entirely true but it doesn't make this car any less special to me. I'll post more pictures when I bring it out of storage.

I am 25 now, but when I was a kid I would ride around town on the "pony seat" (the arm rest) and get donuts with my grandpa. This Caprice was one of the many vehicles I learned how to drive with.

When my grandfather told me he didn't drive it anymore and he wanted to sell it, I jumped on the opportunity to save this memory of mine. Instead of selling it for chump change, he gave the vehicle to me. I have a little rust to repair behind the passenger rear wheel well but otherwise this was an extremely well taken care of vehicle. It now has somewhere in the 130k range for miles but about 50k of those miles came in the last few years when my grandparents traveled a bunch.

I know that when the day comes when he passes I will be glad I kept this memory. Maybe, just maybe, I will sell it one day to help pay for the next weekend and summer driver. Until then, I am glad I have a decent cruiser.

Thanks again for all of the info!

·
Premium Member
592 Posts
Hey you're welcome. Just remember,in the car hobby,rarity does not always translate into value.
Sounds like you like your Caprice for all the right reasons! Take care,Jim

1 - 13 of 13 Posts