Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!!
I have a 94 Impala SS #1577…
I’m looking for ODBI scanner tool… that reads our cars… which one works?
(Besides the Innova)

·
Registered
483 Posts
I don't know of a scanner tool for OBD1.
EEHack on a laptop will read any codes on OBD1, and is a free program. You would just need to buy an OBD1 to USB cable.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
EEHack on a laptop will read any codes on OBD1
Eehack is specific to LT1( I do not know about it's ABS capabilities). If the OP wants something that can do more than LT1 some of the mechanic's grade scanners from the late 1990s will do codes and live data as well as OBD2.

The OTC 4000 Enhanced will also read the ABS with the correct software. Few scanners read the ABS codes for the B body.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Eehack is specific to LT1( I do not know about it's ABS capabilities). If the OP wants something that can do more than LT1 some of the mechanic's grade scanners from the late 1990s will do codes and live data as well as OBD2.

The OTC 4000 Enhanced will also read the ABS with the correct software. Few scanners read the ABS codes for the B body.
Yes, but the op said they had a 94' impala, hence why I suggested EEHack.

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
This may or may not help OP, but I really like my Snap-On MT2500 for my 94-96 cars. Bought it used for a steal. Has live data,record mode,field service mode,troubleshooter mode.Quick and easy to use.Came with numerous cartridges for various makes/years but I keep these 2 in it all the time.Nice car hobby tool.
Jim

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought an Actron CP9690 hand held scanner which will do both OBD1 and OBD2. They sell for about $150 to $180 on eBay or Amazon. Don’t know how the Actron’s capability compares with eehack. There is a learning curve with any scanner.

·
Registered
3 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
This may or may not help OP, but I really like my Snap-On MT2500 for my 94-96 cars. Bought it used for a steal. Has live data,record mode,field service mode,troubleshooter mode.Quick and easy to use.Came with numerous cartridges for various makes/years but I keep these 2 in it all the time.Nice car hobby tool.
Jim
So what does this do that an obd1 cable with eehack cant do?

I see a few in my area for 300 bucks. If it's worth the pickup I'll go get it.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
So what does this do that an obd1 cable with eehack cant do?
Different strokes for different folks.

I believe EeHack can do some of the interactive tests that force actuators.Live data and data logging(?). It can program the PCM and do live tuning. I do not think it does ABS. Once you have a cable there is Scan9495 and FreeScan. The important thing is to invest in a cable with a good reputation from a company that has been in the business for a long time. A good cable is usually cheaper that replacing the PCM due to bricking.

I do not know of any scanner that does tuning but some will do some of the interactive tests that force actuators.Live data and data logging. Some will do ABS.A GM Tech 1 will do all.

What makes me grab the scanner with live data first is that it is always ready. It never needs battery charging, never wants updates, never stalls because it is looking for networks. As a keyboard only device I can stick it in a plastic bag and use all functions with dirty hands. No mouse, trackball, or touch pad.

Scanners are easier to get going that computers for some people. Even tech savvy people can have issues getting the computer based systems working.

In general if you are not having weird engine issues that require logging, and you have no intentions of tuning a scanner may be your first choice. I you have the cash both are best. As I said before if you own more than one car scanners that can work on your other cars is also a factor to look at.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Awesome. Already have a cable and it's already proven to be invaluable.

Will definitely pick up that scanner if I find one for a bit cheaper

1 - 13 of 13 Posts