Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since I bought mine, the speedo/odometer sometime flakes out, goes totally black.
I've tried taking it apart, cleaning, reflowing solder joints, etc. still does it.

Does anybody know which chip on the cluster stores the mileage?
I found a spare cluster to replace mine, but would like to correct the mileage.
I have a chip burner, so reading/flashing isn't an issue, but searching I could not find which chip it is.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I've tried taking it apart, cleaning, reflowing solder joints, etc. still does it.
Have you looked at this thread?

http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/26-electrical/272461-1995-9c1-intermittent-dash-display-fix.html

ShudahadaV8's fix should work for most people. I reposted his pictures at the end.

If you list the chip#s under the display or get a picture or two someone may be able to help.

The chip connected to the crystal should be the CPU and if the memory is separate it should have several lines to the CPU but no connection to the display circuit.

Many of the repair companies do this programing, Maybe there is a close/cheap one to you?

A lot of people have thought that you could simulate VSS and "wrap" the odometer like people did with the mechanical ones.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts