Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brothers 1995 9c1 has a serious trunk leak and every possible theoretical fix has been attempted. We took out all the windows, re-sealed them and the leak continues. We have tried tightening hte trunk as much as possible. Also sealed all the holes in the trunk. The leak is in the pockets right between the trunk floor and the quarter panels.

Anytime it rains, the water is level with the trunk floor. If you stick your hand in the pocket, it will get wet...that is how much water accumulates in those pockets.

Has anyone had this problem with their 91-96 b-body? My brother has been dealing with this for 3.5 years and all the water may create a rust issue. Also this problem has prevented him from installing a proper sound system in the car.

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
There should be weep holes in the bottom of those pockets, they are likely clogged, but that is a LOT of water. Does he have any rust issues around the wheel wells where water could be flying from the tires?

Doug

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As far as I can tell, it's not from the wheel wells because the pockets get filled even while the car is sitting still. We've gone through great lengths to find the leak too. I hosed down the trunk while he hung out in there and he didn't even see the slightest drip go through.

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
wow, my brother would never allow me to lock him in a trunk...LOL

Not sure what to tell ya, maybe one of the other guys has some ideas...

Doug

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Haha the best part was that he had the keys on him after I closed the trunk. I had a spare key though..but it was pretty hilarious.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
I had a similar leak

Obviously the lid seal could be at fault and is available new still, year one has a good price on them last time I looked. The lip that the seal attaches too can easily become bent down away from the lid causing it to not seal, it happens by knocking heavy stuff against it like a spare tire. If it gets bent down it can cause water to pool and not run off, the lip itself can get rusted because of this.

You can see in this pic where mine was bent, which allowed the water to pool a bit and cause some rust on the lip.

The manual says to check the metal seams where the green lines are and down around the tail lights.

The biggest leak spot I found was down in the QP pocket where the bumper cover studs come through. As it rained water would be channeled almost directly to this area from around the trunk lid and tailights. I havent sealed this area up yet permanently because the bumper cover is still off, so I justed use metal tape while I have it off, but I suppose some type of urathane sealant would do the trick.

Also On my car I found poorly sealed seams in the area of the underside near the QP pocket, some of the holes were pretty large. This is after I sealed them up. I used a 3M body sealer, but I suppose bondo would work.

Fixing all these problems eliminated my trunk leaks.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I had the same problem

I took out the carpet, removed the taillights and got in the trunk with the flashlight and had someone hose it done. my leak was on the driver side behind the taillights. their was a bad weld when they installed the quarter panels. I could actually see where the hole was.

unless you get in the trunk you will have a hard time pinpointing where your leak is.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the great replies. We tried messing around with the lip and my brother replaced the lid seal. I'll tell him to look into the seams and the possible bad weld. I figured that one time he camped out in the trunk while I hosed him down would lead me to the solution. I guess we'll have to try again. Anyway, thanks again guys.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Check with your local welding supply store and see if they carry this, or an equivalent

It’s used in dye penetrant inspections. The spray is a fine powder and will stick to the inside surface of the trunk. So after a good rain just open the trunk and you’ll easily spot where the water has shed.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Awesome. Will try this out asap. Thanks.

·
Registered
11,504 Posts
Thanks for the great replies. We tried messing around with the lip and my brother replaced the lid seal. I'll tell him to look into the seams and the possible bad weld. I figured that one time he camped out in the trunk while I hosed him down would lead me to the solution. I guess we'll have to try again. Anyway, thanks again guys.
Maybe he should take a flashlight with him next time.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I have this problem as well.

1. The seams behind the wheel are one source of the problem. I had a 1/2 inch gap.

2. Where the quarter panel meets the roof is where my main leak is I could see it on the inside of the panel with a flash light.

Get in the trunk with a flash light and have someone start soaking the trunk. windows, and body seams. Start a the lowest point and work your way up.

Get in the trunk and look real good up the pillars and everything. Usually there is enough dust for you to find the path of water.

·
Registered
540 Posts
My 91 leaked on both sides at the seam in the corner at the base of the rear window. It looks like it's just spotwelded with some body filler in between to seal it, seems like a weak design. My 95 has an extra plate welded over that same seam, think they changed the design at some point.

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
Could it be condensation? I would open my trunk in the morning and there would be moisture on the underside of the trunk lid.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
There is no condensation here. My 88 Caprice had that problem though and you'd see a line drizzle down on the wheel wells as well. The line was probably the seam..but the condensation was probably the weather stripping. I actually don't know..

Currently, the 95 is at the shop....we'll see what happens. We're gonna try a can of that stuff

·
Registered
25 Posts
My 91 leaked on both sides at the seam in the corner at the base of the rear window. It looks like it's just spotwelded with some body filler in between to seal it, seems like a weak design. My 95 has an extra plate welded over that same seam, think they changed the design at some point.
I found the exact same problem with my '93. The spot where the seams for the rear quarter and back window pillar come together were filled with a "bondo-like" substance, and this bondo has cracked over time. Unfortunately, the cracks are right where the water comes off the back window and drips down. I found this problem on BOTH sides.

Before finding this I had been parking uphill to see if it made a difference and try to find the leak (I thought it was collecting in the trough and leaking over the edges when I was parking nose-down, or that my trunklid seal was bad). After some major rain I came out to find 6 inches of water at the tail end of my trunk. It was all coming from these cracks. Literally every drip that fell on those cracks was going through and filling my trunk.

Took a picture of where the cracks are at the corner. (See circle and arrows) Whatever the filler material is, was put on at the factory and painted over.

Attachments

·
Registered
540 Posts
Yes it's definitely that seam. I put some clay-type sealant all over that seam after I took that picture in august, car has been sitting in outside in a typical western european summer (= lots of rain) and it's still leak free. Even put some old newspapers inside to see if any drips got through but it's completely dry.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks guys I really hope that solves the problem. This has been bugging my brother for the longest time. He hasn't been able to put a normal stereo in the car because of this haha. He's been forced to listen to all the interior rattling instead...anyway, hopefully this solves the problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
hey there just curious if you guys ever fixed trunk leak ive noticed my 95 caprice classic has similar issue and it def seems to be coming from either trunk seal or the just below the rear windshield like pic above ? and if u fixed this what did u use ? thanks

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
The product you want is automotive seam sealer. It comes in either squeeze tubes or caulk type tubes, and is available at most auto auto parts stores. It's basically just fancy caulk. It's intended to stay flexible so it moves as the body flexes, but the factory stuff is 20 years old at this point and has gotten hard and cracked.

I used 3M Dynatron last time I needed to re-seal some seams(mostly because it was the easiest to get):
http://www.autozone.com/sandpaper-a...y-dynatron-auto-seam-sealer-caulk/167027_0_0/
Use a pick in the cracks and see if any big chunks of factory seam sealer are loose. If so, peel them up. Clean up any rust with one of the rust converters on the market. Then, wait until the car is good and dry before applying the new seal sealer, you don't want to seal in any moisture. While it's still soft, the seam sealer can be smoothed out with a finger or paint brush dipped in mineral spirits. If it was your seams that were leaking, they should be sealed up tight now.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts