Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, So I got steering column smoke driving down the highway the other day. Lost turn signals. Everything else seems OK. Read up on the forum about issue. So what is most likely the cause? Do I need to replace the turn signal stalk or the Ring type switch inside the column or both. Trying to make this as painless as possible which my be a laugh. Thank you for your time. Uvaldi.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Look for a sticky in the electrical section. The stalk is a separate part from the switch. If you have cornering lights make sure you get the right switch. Any tilt column video that looks close will help you. The connector will go through the column but it is not easy.

We are assuming you have checked the fuses and do not have a shorted wire somewhere else. Common cause would be trailer wiring done wrong. Be sure the switch is bad first. In rare cases a bulb blows and shorts out inside the bulb.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I dug into it and replaced the turn signal switch. Everything seems to work now except with the ignition off and hazards on the turn arrows in the dash don't light up but the hazards themselves work fine. When iginition on they light up. It that normal for Caprice's? Any thoughts? My 94 Roadmaster turn arrows light up with car off and hazards on.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts