·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Automotive parking light Car Tire Wheel Automotive side marker light
Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Car Vehicle Tire
Vehicle Car Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

1995 Chevrolet Caprice 9C1

Bought from auction in Florida in 2002, I am the second owner of this Florida Highway Patrol car.
The car came to me with 82,000 miles on it. It now has 191,000+.
It has been meticulously maintained and upgraded over the years, yet parts of the body show her age.
How could it be a 95' with triangular quarter windows, you ask ?
Well...the VIN, the stickers, the stamps, CarFax, the manual and especially the broken glass under both interior quarter window covers, when I stripped the interior down inspect for rust and fill the floor panel holes left behind from the police equipment removal, was a dead giveaway.. That must have been one pissed off perp who kicked out both side windows. Or maybe he was just hot and wanted a breeze. Who knows ?

Original

LT1 Bottom and Top-end
Interior
Body panels (Some dings, some rust, some paint peel)
Body mounts (Excellent condition)
Frame (Surface rust mainly)
Exhaust manifolds
Driveshaft
Control Arms
Gas tank and straps
All the glass (except....well, you already read it.)
Wheels, Center Caps and Chromed Rim Rings (Chromed and never put back on)

Upgraded

Suspension:
Energy Suspension (black) upper and lower control arm bushings
Energy Suspension (red) sway bar end links
Moog upper and lower “Problem Solver” ball joints [< 2500 miles]
Moog complete steering linkage including Pitman and Idler arms
Metco extended billet aluminum rear lower control arms [< 2500 miles]
Metco adjustable upper control arms [< 2500 miles]
Moog (9C1 OE) coil springs (4) [< 5000 miles]
Moog rubber coil spring seats/heighteners
Bilstein B-6 shocks (4) [< 5000 miles]
Airlift 1000 in-coil rear Air Bags (2) [< 2500 miles]
Kuhmo 225-70R15 tires [<2500 miles]

Transmission:
Monster 4L60E transmission w/1800-2000 stall torque converter
Multiple dynamic flushes
New filter and Fel-Pro oil pan gasket

Electrical:
ACDelco 140amp alternator
ACDelco dual fan motors [Pri.=150W & Sec.=100W] [< 2500 miles]
Innovative Wiring (TSB) fan relay kit [< 2500 miles]
Innovative Wiring primary fan wiring kit [< 2500 miles]
Innovative Wiring Heavy Gauge battery cables [< 2500 miles]
Sylvania Silverstar ULTRA High Performance halogen [< 2500 miles]
Genuine GM/ACDelco switches, relays, connectors, bulbs, etc.

Fuel & Air Intake:
GM (original) intake manifold removed, cleaned and replaced [< 2500 miles]
Fel-Pro intake manifold gasket [< 2500 miles]
K&N Filter
Delphi MAF [< 2500 miles]
K&N cold air tube
GM OE intake elbow (with hockey puck)
GM (original) throttle body (disassembled, cleaned, new top and bottom gaskets) [<2500 miles]
GM OE: IAC, TPS, MAP, EGR valve, EGR valve control solenoid, PCV valve, PCV valve grommet [all < 2500 miles]
GM OE fuel injector o-rings and sleeves [< 2500 miles]
GM OE fuel pump [< 2500 miles]
Fram fuel filter [< 2500 miles]

Exhaust:
DynoMax mufflers [< 2500 miles]
O2 sensors (2) [< 2500 miles]

Ignition:
MSD ignition coil
MSD spark plug wires
NGK spark plugs
GM Genuine ignition control module [< 2500 miles]
GM Genuine ignition control module heat sink [< 2500 miles]

Brakes:
PowerStop: Calipers, rotors, pads, steel braided lines on all four corners [< 2500 miles]

Misc.:
Dayco serpentine belt [< 2500 miles]
CarQuest battery [< 2500 miles]
PIA wiper blades [< 2500 miles]

Needs Work

Body skins:
Rust behind both rear wheel wells
Rust on the top of both A columns
Rust around old police antennae bases on roof and on trunk lid
Slight dings here and there which were hammered out but never made perfect
Trunk leaks a little water. Filled trunk side wells with expanding foam and drilled hole for drainage

Interior:
Passenger side window motor replacement (Have motor, nterior panel, armrest, window switch, etc.)
Springs in the driver seat have sagged as would be expected
Headliner cloth needs replacing. Foam and felt paper are intact and in good condition.

Bottom Line

I've owned this car for 20 of it's 26 years. I've always taken great pains to keep her running and looking good as she was my project car, as well as my daily driver. I never went full blown modifications as I like the classic look and the “sleeper” capability of her. It's never had ANY cheap parts installed on her as I've stuck with OE, GM, ACDelco, and other top quality replacements/upgrades.

Unfortunately, and truly sadly, I spun a bearing on her last month. It's a crank journal bearing which upon inspection did not shatter, disintegrate or dislocate. The oil catch can, the contents of the oil filter and the bottom of the oil pan had NO shavings, chunks or foreign material of any kind in them. after the immediate oil change. I refilled her with her usual Mobil 1 Synthetic 5W-30 and a full bottle of Motor Honey to increase the viscosity and allow her to run fairly smoothly. She knocks on start-up and then goes quiet as I've nursed her down the road for, oh...50 miles or so since it happened. I've been told she still has 2000-3000 miles of granny driving in her before something catastrophic happens but I've decided to shut her down.

I called Karl Ellwein and he priced me a 383 rebuild with the top quality parts and workmanship he is known for. All in, it would be about $9000. to him and the shippers. Then I'd have to re-install it, tune it and dial everything in. I know I can get a cheap rebuild or an okay crate engine and be back up and running but it's not what I had in mind for my project sleeper and throwing questionable parts at her has never been my MO. But more than anything, I'm just really tired. This f***ing virus has cost me people I loved, ejected me from a lucrative living as a commercial fisherman, cost me my home, my savings and now it's challenging my spirit. It's been Hard! It's time to let this dream go unfulfilled and hopefully inspire or revive someone else's desire to own what I consider a classic.

Sorry for the sappy ending but it's the truth, as is every word in the above description and the photos attached. Special thanks to all the great people on the ImpalaSS forum. Without them and their expertise I would have never been able to keep her as long as I have. All the best to each and every one of you, especially the originators, administrators and long timers. It's been a real joy. FHP95

I'll take $5K or a reasonable offer.
No trades. Serious inquires only, please.
Car is located in Fort Lauderdale, FL

More Pictures:

·
Registered
445 Posts
But more than anything, I'm just really tired. This f***ing virus has cost me people I loved, ejected me from a lucrative living as a commercial fisherman, cost me my home, my savings and now it's challenging my spirit. It's been Hard!
Amen to feeling really tired, brother. I survived it March 2020, had no idea what it was until antibody test several months later. Since then life often feels like being in an expanding whirlpool of often bad events. One thing that helps me some is remembering an old (British?) study of deaths in wartime merchant marine convoy sinkings. They wanted to understand why strong young sailors drowned more often than the old guys. Turns out the old guys were more familiar with adversity. Neck-deep in the North Atlantic hoping for rescue was bad enough, but they knew that eventually something would change. Sometimes worse, but sometimes better, so they just waited and tried to keep treading water, and to keep their tired shipmates' noses above the water too.

Special thanks to all the great people on the ImpalaSS forum. Without them and their expertise I would have never been able to keep her as long as I have. All the best to each and every one of you, especially the originators, administrators and long timers. It's been a real joy. FHP95
This forum's wonderful, isn't it? Fun, helpful, and a nice break from other events.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts