Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading post trying to figure out what the possible problem could be...I am even more comfused than ever before...I am not sure if its the fuel pump or pressure....opti..or plugs and wires...I would like to get a reference for a good b-body LT1 mechanic who really knows these cars as I dont have the time to get it running like it used to...I was getting about 22-24 miles to the gallon I might be getting 12 now...it stumbles ..idles rough...and you can hear it missing through the exhaust..please recommend a good mechanic or someone knowledgeable...dont care if they are working out of their back yard...just dont want to replace every part in the car trying to find the problem

·
Registered
531 Posts
Nobody knows where you live so recommendations wont happen

·
Registered
413 Posts
well the last 3 of his nick are ATL
Sooo... guessing Atlanta area right?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sorry about the lack of info

Used to live in Atlanta.........but now in LOs Angeles area bought the car in Atlanta and. Drove it to California........ran like a dream

·
Registered
291 Posts
advise

Go out and buy a fuel pressure gauge, vaccum gauge, and compression tester gauge, you can pick them up for under 100 bucks. This way you will be able to pin point your problem. If you do those three tests and all is normal then you have a spark problem, start with the plugs and wires. If they check out you probably have a bad opti spark distributor, replace the whole unit and dont go cheap, mine was about 400 bucks, but it was worth every penny because my car runs great now.

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
How about some info, like miles, last maint. done. More info you post the more we can help narrow thing's down.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey fellas I appreciate all the input......at this point I don't have the time or place to try and figure this out........this is why I need to find someone in the Los Angeles area ........if someone vewing this thread knows someone please contact me

·
Registered
365 Posts
I was getting about 22-24 miles to the gallon I might be getting 12 now...it stumbles ..idles rough...and you can hear it missing through the exhaust..
Why has no one suggested the MAF?

Sounds like it could be your problem as my buddy picked up his 9c1 in trade for an old cheap kicker amp because the huy had the same problem as you and didn't wanna waste money trying to fix it. My buddy told me what it was doing and I went over heard it run and knew exactly what it was popped the hood and the MAF was unplugged.Plugged it in and it ran great!

1st-check if your MAF is unplugged it is the big round sensor near the air filter
2nd- if it is plugged in then go buy a new one or find someone else with an LT1 B-body and see if you can swap it in real quick

I know you are frustrated but try this before you take it to a mechanic it can save you alot of time and money if its this simple

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
still looking for a mechanic in Los angeles area

I am looking for a mechanic to help me with my problem...please hit me up

·
Premium Member
6,358 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts