Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im in the market for a replacement steering gear internal pitman shaft. Can Anyone confirm that a GM 7815885 is the correct part number for my 1995 Impala SS Saginaw Steering Gear? My case is the smaller diameter plug. My FSM Doesn't have a part number and I'm relying on part websites that say they stock a discontinued part. Thanks.

·
Registered
1995 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham
3,000 Posts
I think this is the first I've heard of someone replacing that piece.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
What is wrong with the old one? Unless its bent the taper never really wears on it much
Mine was bent and the spline the pitman arm goes on was twisted causing the steering wheel to not be at 12 o'clock or horn "straight" if you will, in relation to with the wheels being straight. The car does not pull anymore. And, the steering wheel is straight now for the most part. Getting that perfect would need more fine adjustment. I can say for a first attempt, and the amount of wear the gear has, I'd give myself a pat on the back. Finally. I do think the pitman shaft (sector shaft) here that I changed was the culprit for the pulling, other worn parts within the suspension could have been contributing to the pulling too. I had a lower rear control arm bushing that was really badly torn up in its sleeve. I felt like just the weight of the vehicle and the resistance of going down the road on that wheel could have been pulling the car because of that bushing not doing its job.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts