Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi friends.

Long time visitor and just became a member. I have an issue which I can use some help. I have a 1996 Chevy Caprice LT1 none 9C1 that I had my local performance shop changed the gear from stock 2.93 to 3.90. However the software that my performance shop had used couldn't communicate with my car computer/PCM. It's been sitting in my garage for 2 weeks and I'm frustrated.

The speedometer is off and the ABS cosmos on after a few miles. The shop did the proper installation but cannot calibrate the speedometer. I also tried to contact lt1pcmtuning but have been unable to reach the owner.

Is there anyone out here that can guide me on how to get this car tuned? I am not very proficient in tuning and I believe it just need a speedo tune.

The car has K&N CAI that was installed sh oh looked like the stock intake, along with super10 exhaust mod with no cat delete or any illegal mods.

Please help!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
If your ABS light is coming on it sounds like they didn't put the proper reluctor in the rear end when they did the gear change. As far as tuning the speedometer, if you have any car friends with a programmer it should be able to change the speedo settings as its a pretty basic change to the pcm. Also any basic performance shop in your area should have an OBD2 reader and programmer, they'd probably be able to help you out.

·
Premium Member
20,292 Posts
If your ABS light is coming on it sounds like they didn't put the proper reluctor in the rear end when they did the gear change......
Exactly! Either the new gears are not ABS compatible at all (and thus, no reluctor gear) or if they are ABS compatible, the mechanic put in the wrong reluctor.....like the one from your 2.93 gears.

For tuning.....contact PCM for Less . They can either email you a tune for you to download into the PCM, or you can ship your PCM to them and they'll return it with the new tune uploaded.

KW

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wait... The performance shop said hey did change the reluctor FOR THE aBs. Their reason for ABS light coming on is because the speedo is too out from (over 10mph difference.) is this true?

The ABS light comes on after a few miles of driving or over 70mph on the speedo reading.

Please confirm (I am awaiting to send it in)

·
Premium Member
1,491 Posts
Wait... The performance shop said hey did change the reluctor FOR THE aBs. Their reason for ABS light coming on is because the speedo is too out from (over 10mph difference.) is this true?

The ABS light comes on after a few miles of driving or over 70mph on the speedo reading.

Please confirm (I am awaiting to send it in)
But did they take the old reluctor and change it over to the new gear or did they get the correct new reluctor for the new gear ratio?

Mike--94MSP9C1

1 - 6 of 6 Posts