Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the firebird is not a b-body but this one has an b-body LT1. I found this guy that is selling a 96 Firebird with 91k on the body. The car's original motor was supposedly replaced with a 60k lt1 out of a 95 Fleetwood. He doesn't know too much about these cars but long story short, he can't get it to start. I'm thinking the pcm needs to be reprogrammed to obd1, or maybe the opti is not allinged. The rest of the car is in near perfect condition. I can buy the car as it is for two grand with a clear title. Anyone think that this would be a good project?

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
IIRC, the 96 has a crank sensor as opposed to the 95

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
coil yes, crank sensor not so easy fix. I think u could just get a obd1 conversion tune for the crank and rear o2s programed out. another thing to look at is different cam profile, when u do get it running along with compression difference. Not sure comp. will affect anything but the cam i think would.

·
Registered
731 Posts
coil yes, crank sensor not so easy fix. I think u could just get a obd1 conversion tune for the crank and rear o2s programed out. another thing to look at is different cam profile, when u do get it running along with compression difference. Not sure comp. will affect anything but the cam i think would.
The OBD1 conversion makes more sense imho.

Like stated, to fix it back as OBD2 the coil isn't so bad, but the 96 front cover for the CPS could get messy.

You would need to drop the oil pan in the front, pull the WP, opti, and balancer/hub assembly to get to the cover itself (also the air pump if applicable), then install the 96 cover, the CPS reluctor and sensor, and a shorter crank-hub to compensate for the space the reluctor takes up on the crank.

The 96 F-body also has 1 100k ohm knock-sensor vs. the 95 Bbodys two 4k ohm knock-sensors, so you would need to get a 96 sensor and screw it into the block.

All 94-95 lt1's use 4k ohm knock-sensors, and the 96-97's use 100k ohm sensors. The difference between the F and B cars, is that all lt1 B cars have two sensors wired in parallel and all LT1 F cars have one, obd1 or 2.. They take the same sensors, as long as the comparing engines are the same OBD-type.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I also believe the crank snout is longer to accept the reluctor, so it would be alot easier with the obd1 conversion.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I also believe the crank snout is longer to accept the reluctor, so it would be alot easier with the obd1 conversion.
I put a 96 engine into my 95 9C1, and I used a file carefully on the crank key from the 96 engine and made the cutback deep enough that the lower timing gear was flush with it w/o the reluctor, and installed a 95 cover and crank snout and the belt lines up like stock (this is with an eagle crank, but it should be the same).

So I guess in addition to the stuff already listed, If you want to fix it and stay OBD2 you would need the (96)shallow-cutback crank key, and take the slim chance that you would have to pull the lower timing gear to swap them out (with patience they can usually be removed w/o pulling the gear).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.