Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i own a 1996 impala SS and it has the analog gauge cluster. the temp gauge is not functioning correctly and needs to be repaired.

any one knows how to remove the analog gauge cluster? and how to repair it?

thanks for help.

·
Premium Member
8,386 Posts
Certainly,

The black surround covering the cluster there is two 7MM screws that screw in facing up towards the upper dash pad, basically on the top of the black piece you will see what I mean, pull those out, and it is held in with clips, makesure steering wheel is tilted down, then there is either two or four 7 MM screws holding the cluster in itself, pull those and just pull towards you, that is it.

Mike

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Certainly,

The black surround covering the cluster there is two 7MM screws that screw in facing up towards the upper dash pad, basically on the top of the black piece you will see what I mean, pull those out, and it is held in with clips, makesure steering wheel is tilted down, then there is either two or four 7 MM screws holding the cluster in itself, pull those and just pull towards you, that is it.

Mike
thanks for the reply. where the clips are? and how to remove them? i only found the 2 7mm screws upward of the cluster side.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As stated above just pull the surround away from dash when the screws are removed it will pop off.

Mike
thanks. i removed all the bolts bolting the gauge cluster to the car, 8 torx bolts and 4 hex bolts.

now i want to take the gauge cluster out but i can't because it is hitting the steering column and the clips brackets? is there a way that enables me to lower the steering column so that i can get the gauge cluster out? or there is other way i can do to get the gauge cluster out?

thanks.

·
Premium Member
8,386 Posts
thanks. i removed all the bolts bolting the gauge cluster to the car, 8 torx bolts and 4 hex bolts.

now i want to take the gauge cluster out but i can't because it is hitting the steering column and the clips brackets? is there a way that enables me to lower the steering column so that i can get the gauge cluster out? or there is other way i can do to get the gauge cluster out?

thanks.

Put the 8 torx back in the cluster, those don't need to be removed, this holds the face together.
As far as it hitting do you have the steering column tilted all the way down. I was pretty sure that the cluster would come out with the dash all together. Not sure one this one. But it may involve removing the lower dash assembly, this is easy also, there are a host of 7MM screws on the bottom, the ashtray and slider assembly will have to be removed also, after you find all the screws, drop open the glove box and pull, same style clips that hold the surround on hold the top portion of the lower dash on. Good luck and sorry for the confusion.

Mike

·
Premium Member
6,706 Posts
Put the 8 torx back in the cluster, those don't need to be removed, this holds the face together.
As far as it hitting do you have the steering column tilted all the way down. I was pretty sure that the cluster would come out with the dash all together. Not sure one this one. But it may involve removing the lower dash assembly, this is easy also, there are a host of 7MM screws on the bottom, the ashtray and slider assembly will have to be removed also, after you find all the screws, drop open the glove box and pull, same style clips that hold the surround on hold the top portion of the lower dash on. Good luck and sorry for the confusion.

Mike
You certain about this? I recall having to remove around seven or eight torx to remove the gauge cluster on my '96. Even after all the correct screws are removed the gauge is going to fight coming out, and has to be slightly twisted and pulled to release it from the two sockets in the back.

There is no need to remove any of the dash paneling other than the gauge cluster bezel.

Furthermore, if I recall correctly the screws that hold the gauge cluster together go from back to front and are thus not accessible until the cluster is removed.

I'm nearly 100% positive on all I've posted here...

·
Premium Member
6,706 Posts
BTW, what do you plan on doing to the temperature gauge once you get the cluster removed and how do you know that it's not the sensor that's screwed up?

·
Registered
208 Posts
I have an extra cluster in my hand right this second. It has 4 holes for the mounting bolts/screws (two on top, two on bottom). The 8 torx screws on the front is for mounting the clear lens (no need to remove those to get the cluster out the dash). There are a total of 10 torx screws on the back. I wish I knew how to post pics

·
Premium Member
6,706 Posts
That's good to know, but have you ever removed one with the lens still attached?

I'd remove it because it's just eight screws and that's how it's suggested on an old site that has long since died out...and how I did it in the past, I'm thinking it won't flex as well with that lens on it and it will be harder to get your hands around it to pull.

·
Premium Member
8,386 Posts
You certain about this? I recall having to remove around seven or eight torx to remove the gauge cluster on my '96. Even after all the correct screws are removed the gauge is going to fight coming out, and has to be slightly twisted and pulled to release it from the two sockets in the back.

There is no need to remove any of the dash paneling other than the gauge cluster bezel.

Furthermore, if I recall correctly the screws that hold the gauge cluster together go from back to front and are thus not accessible until the cluster is removed.

I'm nearly 100% positive on all I've posted here...

Thanks Needles for the correction on this. You are right, sorry I am retarded, I forgot on that. Thanks for fixing my mistake :)

Mike

·
Premium Member
6,706 Posts
I almost screwed up big time when I removed my cluster to repair the odometer. I had removed the screws on the backside that hold the cluster together so that I could remove the plastic backing and expose the troublesome 3 resistors and burnt/lifted traces on the board.

After the repair I opted to leave those screws out and just go plug the cluster into the car to check if the repair had worked. That was a very bad idea, it worked but then pulling the cluster back out was pretty hairy...the back half wanted to stay connected to the car whilst the front half was ready to pull off. I managed to get my fingers back around it all and just twisted/pulled and it all came off; I lucked out that day and overcame my own ignorance.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
BTW, what do you plan on doing to the temperature gauge once you get the cluster removed and how do you know that it's not the sensor that's screwed up?
i replaced the temp gauge sensor but nothing changed and that was before i beging uninstalling the gauge cluster. btw, do you know how to repair the gauge cluster gauges and what parts i need to repair the gauge cluster.

if i don't know how to repair the gauge cluster i will ship mine to a shop in US that knows how to repair it.

·
Premium Member
6,706 Posts
I would have to send it to an expert myself, unless I was able to see something wrong and attempt a repair...but most likely I'd have to defer to an expert.

As for the tilt lever, that's all you need...just get the steering wheel pointed down as far as it will go and you'll have all the fighting room you need.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.