Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello can anyone tell me where to purchase a keyed crank hub? It has to be for a 1996 impala ss,checked pioneer but cant find one in stock only for 95s,and ebay has some but they look to long? Thank you.

·
Premium Member
5,433 Posts
A 96 hub is .093 shorter than the 94-95 to allow for the reluctor.
If you cant find a 96, you could machine a 94-95.
Orrrrrr, in a pinch shim the accessory bracket ahead.

Goes without saying the B body hubs for a given year are longer than F or Y

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A 96 hub is .093 shorter than the 94-95 to allow for the reluctor.
If you cant find a 96, you could machine a 94-95.
Orrrrrr, in a pinch shim the accessory bracket ahead.

Goes without saying the B body hubs for a given year are longer than F or Y
Hey thanks for the reply 95wagon, but im really wanting something i can order or pickup somewhere, i dont have time to get one machined , i might just slap the old hub in and hope it stays in place if its going to be a hassle looking for one ,was really wanting a pioneer one but seems like they don't carry it anymore. 😤

·
Premium Member
5,433 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Yes i saw that one 95wagon but it looked long to me and I dont know if that's the correct key ,if someone can chime in and verify that this will work on a 96,i need a plug and play? Heres a pic of a chart thatvhad me questioning the size and key type.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
I ended up having to buy a 95 and got my local machinist to cut it down to 96 specs for me. I want to say it only added about $50 to the cost and was at his shop for a week.

-Brian

·
Premium Member
5,433 Posts
You can lead a horse,,,,,,,,,,

The seller I linked is none other than TorqueHead.
Think they would have their #%^$ together.
The 94-95 hub is the longest there is, the 96 is only .010 shorter ( .093 but not nitpicking)
Damper sellers like ATI , Fluidampr, and the hubs TorqueHead sells, are 96 dimension and include a shim washer to use if you are putting on a 94-95.

Contact TorqueHead directly if you have concerns.
Yes , the keyway is correct.

Your car stock will have no key in the front position, and the special " clipped" LT1 and year specific rear key.

The correct set up when using a keyed hub is 2 full length keys .
Lots of people, if the engine is together, skip the change of the rear.
Maybe OK if NA and you just want the added insurance.
If there is a blower involved, you MUST have both full length keys.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You can lead a horse,,,,,,,,,,

The seller I linked is none other than TorqueHead.
Think they would have their #%^$ together.
The 94-95 hub is the longest there is, the 96 is only .010 shorter ( .093 but not nitpicking)
Damper sellers like ATI , Fluidampr, and the hubs TorqueHead sells, are 96 dimension and include a shim washer to use if you are putting on a 94-95.

Contact TorqueHead directly if you have concerns.
Yes , the keyway is correct.

Your car stock will have no key in the front position, and the special " clipped" LT1 and year specific rear key.

The correct set up when using a keyed hub is 2 full length keys .
Lots of people, if the engine is together, skip the change of the rear.
Maybe OK if NA and you just want the added insurance.
If there is a blower involved, you MUST have both full length keys.

Ok just contacted him waiting on response, so will this hub also be tight to replace like orginal thats pressed or will it slide on easier? Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,433 Posts
It better be tight fit. The fit is critical to both the operation and retention.
Look at other engine types that have slip fit dampers, they will typically have giant damper bolts torqued to big numbers.
SB chev, is only 7/16-20

As per ATI
" Press fit of the hub to the crankshaft is vital to transfer harmonics to the damper assembly.Recommended press is as follows:Crankshaft ODInterference Crankshaft ODInterference1.0000" - 1.2500"-------------.0009" to .0012" 1.6010" - 2.0000"-------------.0006" to .0008"1.2510" - 1.3750"-------------.0008" to .0011" 2.0010" - 2.5000"-------------.0005" to .0007"1.3750" - 1.6000"-------------.0007" to .0009"

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok kool he just replied back this is what he said

Hello,

Yes this is direct replacement on any B-Body application for 1994 to 1996. 1996 Impala SS with stock crank pulley....this is spot on compatible. Its just better design as its billet, keyed, and all that good stuff. We install hundreds and hundreds of these on many many LT1 platforms as we carry all hubs for all platforms.

Regards, TH

So with that being said i pulled the trigger,if anyone is looking for one this is compatible with 94-96,thanks everyone for there help.

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
Reactions: 95wagon

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
Gerry is correct. It comes apart.
You get the hub and balancer together for one low price. ( And spacer for Bbody)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts