Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1996 roadmaster wagon

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  sprinter3500 
#1 ·
i recently purchased a 96 buick wagon, and the battery pan is rusted like hell.. wondering if you guys should think i should at least try and get the rust out and see if the rust didn't eat it all, or just try and get a new battery pan..

#2 · (Edited)
That's a very common problem with "b" bodies. Depending on how bad it is, you could wire brush it, and then SEM paint it. I have done that and after 4 years it still looks good. Or, if it is too bad, where you live in FL, there has to be good ones in the junkyard.

Tom C.

#3 ·
I'm hoping so.. i haven't actually taken it out yet and looked.. I'm hoping its not bad, but I'm not sure if this wagon wasn't from up north, its got rust in spots you wouldn't believe.. the rust is on the frame and front side of the engine, so I'm thinking its from the salted roads up north before it came down here.. but who knows.. guess I'm about to find out today when i pull everything apart. haha

#4 ·
Even in Florida the battery trays get rusty. The batteries tend to "boil" because of the high temps, and they eat up the trays. Sometimes the wheelhouses only get a dusting of rust, and are fine, but you may still have to replace the battery tray.

The yards here get about half northern cars from transplants, so you may have to hit the yards a couple of times before you find an acceptable tray. They are pretty cheap at the PNP yards.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.