Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can that be removed from the car? Does it mess with MPG? I do not have emissions testing here. I know PCM will throw a code for it? What would be the ill effects of plugging off all the lines going into it?

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Can it be removed? Sure, you can remove it if you want.

You should just throw away your fuel cap. You'll accomplish the same thing. Fuel vapor evaporating from your tank before it gets burnt.

Count on a 10% fuel economy drop.

Remember, cars without the charcoal cannister are impossible to store indoors, cuz they smell like they have a major fuel leak, and they also get "fumey" while driving.

I know alot of cats that hate the canister because they are a huge "eyesore" in the engine area but ours is nicely hidden under the battery tray.

My advise: keep it on there and operating correctly. Make sure the line is attached at the tank area at all times, get a better clamp back there to accomplish this if you have to, as the GM factory clamp is a trash item.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MIne was a wreck when I got it. I see lines from the canister coming up in front of battery that jsut STOP, not conencted to an damn thing. Today the car got REAL GASSY smelling, when both fans were running with AC on and the car sitting. Worst it eve has been. I never smelled it like this before today. It was rather HOT out, perhaps tank pressure was higher they usual and pushing out more vapor. When I put in the new inner fenders all the lines to it were intact but I see some coming from it up in front of battery by rad. that just stopped, not going into anything.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, seems the lines that just seemed to stop and were open up by the battery is normal. Based on the diagram in the link given (thanks) here mine system is all there. I do notice a TON of pressure released when I take off gas cap. Can I leave that cap loose a little to help vent the gas tank on these hot days here in cincy whenit appears the tank is really building up pressure. Now the thing is, what to fix on the system, canister valve, this that. I HATE CARS!

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
Yes, either at a dealer or go to RMS autoparts or Rockauto.

·
Registered
429 Posts
There also available at your local parts store. (Autozone,Napa, etc...) Last time I checked they were kinda pricey.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yea, 65-90 bucks depending who you go with. I am thinking JUNK YARD run. Look for a low mile car (have list of cars this 96 Impala canister was in also and look over those cars (many) and snag it. yea I know it may not work either but chances are I will be alright.
Everyone told me Roadmaster Wagon fron't inner wheel wells didn't fit 96 Impala's, but they sure fit up onto mine just fine.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
man when I open my gas cap that SOB blows hard for a good 25 seconds or so it seems. It could put out a house fire with the air coming out. Something is really wrong.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Likely it's the charcoal canister or it could be a kinked line somewhere too. The tanks are plastic so that kind of pressure isn't good for anything.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hell there is a **** LOAD OF pressure building up in the tank. I mean enough to blow out paper out of you hand. Full or empty tank of gas it is there. Even it I let it out then go back later (not driven the car in that time) and there will be more decent buildup. The canister is in one pc so it is holding up to the pressure if it is getting any. None of the lines were kinked. The gas smell is gone though. Well if I can get to a junk yard this weekend I am going to pull off partsof other cars and give that a shot, cheap enough to try first before I drop bucks at my shop.

·
Super Moderator
8,908 Posts
We had this discussion awhile ago regarding tank pressure. Never did seem to come to any sort of consensus. Both of my B-bodies will build tank pressure if you drive them until the tank is empty and then take the cap off to fill the tank.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Then tank has about 5 to 8 gallons of gas in it. Makes sense if it is full or close that there would be less pressure since there is less open space??

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
my canister fell off years ago. I always wondered why inside the car would stink up of fuel.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well I put in a used canister, replaced all the components for the system up on the motor. Not much more sure what I can do. Don't smell gas fumes at the moment. We shall see. I still get a good amount of pressure release when I take off the cap with the tank no more then half full. Maybe that is just the way it is. Anyone that drives around in the coming days, if you can, remove your gas cap, see how much air pressures back out the now removed cap. Report back here, PLEASE

1 - 17 of 17 Posts