Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my 94ss a month ago and will be ready to start doing some suspension mods in about a month or so. I want to lower it about 1-1.5 inches. It will be only a street car but i definately want it to handle better. Should I get the Eibach pro kit springs or the hotchkis.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
A lot of guys here like the Hotchkis. Stay away from the Eibach springs as some have complained about irregularities in heights. However, don't forget to read up on the Suspension techs and the H&Rs. In my opinion they make the car the "perfect height." Good luck using the search feature at the top of the screen.

Jeff

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First thing : before upgrading, make sure that what you have is in good shape. Throwing extra parts when there are weaknesses there is not helping things.

Once that is taken care of, I'd go with the Hotchkis springs if you want that amount of drop from stock SS height. Also consider new shocks (Bilstein, Koni, or HAL) as what is on the car now is almost certainly toast.

Beyond that, there are many directions you can go. What do you want to do with the car?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have been thinking of putting on the bilsteins and the Hotchkis spriings. I dont plan on racing but I do like to have good handling on the street. On my last car, i had lots of suspension mods so I am used to driving with good stuff on. I will probably put on some bertter sway bars in a few months after i do the shocks and springs. Thats probably all the suspension mods i will plan on doing.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
in the last month i installed the eibach pro kit and the stiff valved bilsteins. i think that the shocks were the best mod i've done to the car as of yet. they provide a very precise feel to the car at all times. i haven't had any problems with "irregularities" from the springs, they seemed to have lowered the car what was advertised, and ride well. i would highly recommend the 1104/929 bilsteins!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Given that you have the current suspension in tip-top shape, I would do the body bushings first as they are probably the most bang for the buck. Then the springs/shocks. Next the rear LCAs.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My .02 is to do as much as you can while you got the b***ch up in the air. If you're like me, I like to get the parts in there while the others are off and it's easier and time-saving. You won't have to go in and do things over again. For example, do the rear upper and lower control arms while the shocks and springs are out. You may as well do the front ball joints as well. Might as well do the endlinks and bushings too. Finally, replace the idler arm for a Moog one. Heck, the list goes on, but all of these mods are true upgrades to your suspension. If you're gonna put in different swaybars(heavier)you WILL need to consider upgrading the rear control arms. I hear BMR are appropriate. Do your research before jumping into it. You'll be glad ya did. :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There will also be about 250-300 pounds of weight in the trunk from the stereo. Does this have an effect on which brand of springs and shocks I should get to handle the extra weight?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It definitely affects what springs you should run!

Figure on that much equipment lowering the back of the car AT LEAST 1-1.5" all by itself!

What you may find is that for the lowered stance, you ONLY change your front springs and then let "the weight do the work for you" in back and just keep stock springs.

As for the Eibachs, here is the issue. They are NOT CONSISTENT from one batch to the next in HOW MUCH DROP you get! I can show you 2 cars in ROD that have the EXACT SAME PART NUMBER spring in front, yet there is easily over 2 INCHES in ride height (one barely dropped from stock, other one is SLAMMED).

If you got yourself an Eibach set that did drop as advertised, consider yourself lucky

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.