Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8,546 Posts
Sorry, vid clips like that are wholly inappropriate here. I'm certain someone will report it. In 5 or 6 years.
Seriously, you captured good oldschool brap there.

Reactions: Platemail

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, vid clips like that are wholly inappropriate here. I'm certain someone will report it. In 5 or 6 years.
Seriously, you captured good oldschool brap there.

That first part cracked me up, thanks for the laugh.

Called the wife on the ride home and didn't mention it was done, had her on speaker phone and punched it off the line and she goes "OH! I see someone got some mufflers installed..." She asked me if I wanted to take her on a joy ride when she came home and I knew I picked a winner. This car really opened up with this exhaust install, only regret is waiting so many years to do it. Thanks again!!

- Bob

Reactions: nsaness

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Very nice, wish you did some more higher revs. Sounds a little MORE throaty than mine even ! I think i see why, you exit at bumper i did after rear tire.
sound of mine is at very end
-ALF out....

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very nice, wish you did some more higher revs. Sounds a little MORE throaty than mine even ! I think i see why, you exit at bumper i did after rear tire.
sound of mine is at very end
-ALF out....

I am going to be making a longer video, featuring pass bys, bigger/longer revs and different various things. I just snapped that in the drive way after getting home. I did not want to go wild where I live, neighbors like me and I wanna keep it that way lol

- Bob

·
Registered
8,546 Posts
Unless everything's welded up solid you might ease in if trying some 3rd-1st engine braking.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Unless everything's welded up solid you might ease in if trying some 3rd-1st engine braking.
What do you mean exactly? The shop I went to had some super solid welds. The guy takes pride in his work I don't doubt it.

- Bob

·
Registered
8,546 Posts
I do a lot of shifting down coming to stops, and really open systems like yours sounds can react to hi-rev throttle back with krackling and popping that approaches backfiring. And just for reference the catbacks on both mine have no welds, but about 10 s.s. band clamps each. Makes changes pretty easy. I did have the H-pipe kit welded up once I got it installed as that eliminated 4 clamps!

Reactions: Platemail

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Yes it was fun to manually down shift when i had muff delete. It popped and cracked like crazy like a hot rod with headers slowing down real fast in gear. Then i heard that not the smartest to do on stock tranny and i had over 200k at the time.
I made it to 300+ and reverse is leaving as we speak, so my car is in time-out til i get a tranny.
-ALF out...

·
Registered
7,205 Posts
Habitual downshifts are really hard on this trans unless specifically built for it.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Bob, what cat back system do you have?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bob, what cat back system do you have?
I went with Spin Tech Super Pro Street 9000 mufflers, 2.5" in/out, offset, stock catalytic converters, resonator deleted. At an idle you can barely hear it even with windows down, when you take off with a modest foot it has a very satisfying growl, when you punch it from 2-3 gear it roars and sounds incredible.

- Bob

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes it was fun to manually down shift when i had muff delete. It popped and cracked like crazy like a hot rod with headers slowing down real fast in gear. Then i heard that not the smartest to do on stock tranny and i had over 200k at the time.
I made it to 300+ and reverse is leaving as we speak, so my car is in time-out til i get a tranny.
-ALF out...

Ah okay, I figured it was something like that. I have the stock auto tranny and just put it in drive and go.

Reactions: nsaness

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I do a lot of shifting down coming to stops, and really open systems like yours sounds can react to hi-rev throttle back with krackling and popping that approaches backfiring. And just for reference the catbacks on both mine have no welds, but about 10 s.s. band clamps each. Makes changes pretty easy. I did have the H-pipe kit welded up once I got it installed as that eliminated 4 clamps!
Did you notice a big change when you added the H pipe?

·
Registered
8,546 Posts
Measured testing (dyno, not SOTP) consistently results in several hp and ft/lb increase - especially offline and lower revs by taking advantage of scavenging. There's heated debate for H- v. X-, with the difference in measured performance between the two tilting me to H- for its measurably lower cost compared to a fabbed x- unit. That's not to say there's some outright dandy looking x- setups out there. There's at least one source for a replacement of the two aftercat exhaust pipes with 1-pc. 'stock cat location' exhaust x-pipe. I'm thinking Pypes makes it. I've simply used the Summit/Jegs H- kit on several of mine.

·
Registered
7,205 Posts

Reactions: OhGee and Platemail

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I uploaded some more shots of the exhaust taking off from a stop from 3rd person perspective and some high RPM revs from about 15 feet away

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here is what a SpinTech sounds like at Cecil County.
Car set up to run IHRA F/Pure Stock and require mufflers.
Have not moved over to K-L-M /SA yet.
Enjoy..

Great stuff, Dan.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts