Registered
11,473 Posts
No...

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
2.56 to 3:42/73, u feel much better...
+1

I hated my 2.93's... even when the car was 100% stock the 2.93 gears felt stupid. cwm3

·
Registered
8,636 Posts
2.93's feel loads better than the 2.56's. If you are swapping an entire axle, I would do it. But if you are putting new gears in, I would go lower. Really, if you are going to go through the motion to swap the whole axle, I would look for a 3.08 rear car. Or go even lower if you can find one. I pulled a 3.42 rear from the junkyard for less than $75.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
No. NEVER.

[rant]

Regardless of whether you have a 5.7L, 5.0L, or 4.3L, the absolute MINIMUM I could POSSIBLY recommend is 3.08, and that's ONLY if you usually:

a) do the vast majority of your driving where redlights and stopsigns are of no concern whatsoever
b) drive very conservatively and care nothing for random gratuitous bursts of acceleration
c) either wish you had cruise control, OR, if you have it, you just set it and forget it until you get off the highway
d) drive alone and carry little to no excess weight in the car
e) have absolutely no need or care to attempt to improve city MpGs

For the vast majority of noncompetitive uses, 3.42 is the wisest choice.

That said, even for those who will never need to deal with towing, carrying lots of weight, or stop&go traffic, I can't recommend less than 3.08.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: the ONLY reason GM ever equipped these cars with 2.56, 2.73, and/or 2.93, was Corporate Average Fuel Economy. (Had it been up to 'us', even 3.08 & 3.23 might've been avoided!)

[/rant]

If you have no interest in competing, 3.42.
If you can afford all the other parts necessary to have a chance to win a competition, then it's 3.73 or deeper.
lol, great explanation... and i'd also add 3.42/73 makes the car feel much lighter.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts