Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Short story ...

Even though it's only my right axle seal that's leaking all over the drum, my mech says BOTH axles show wear indicating BOTH should be replaced.

He also showed me that the piece on the other side of the ring gear has too much play where the bearing is?

(I'm not disputing my mechanic, by the way.)

The way I see it, this seems like the time to upgrade from 2.56 to 3.42.

I was hoping someone would be kind enough to provide me with a list of what I would need, or at least what I should order? (I know I have to go from a Series 2 to Series 3 Carrier, but I don't know what that means, or even looks like ...)

·
Registered
8,636 Posts
The pinion on the 2.56 set is HUGE. this forces the ring gear to be pushed farther to the outside of the car. The carrier, is what the ring gear mounts too. You need an entire new assembly. This is the unit that holds the "Limited slip". Your options are to buy a series 3 carrier, with an "open" non limited slip setup, or buy a limited slip carrier. You could get away with a used stock posi. Or you could always purposely find one with a worn or posi, since it soundslike that it what you want. People claim a non-posi is safer in vad weather. I disagree, but you do have less of a chance of fishtailing.

·
Registered
11,749 Posts
Posi is the way to go. The ability to get you moving in snow will far outweigh the possiblity of sliding the rear end. You will also be able to do donuts in the local parking lot with a posi. Get a good aftermarket one, not a stock type.

You can get axles from Moser for about the same price as NAPA, and they are made in the USA. I would get the bearings, wheel studs, and seals from them too. Measure your axles to make sure you get the right size. Moser will make them to fit your car.

I did not check Moser before I bought NAPA and Bumper to Bumper axles...they are made in India. They will work, but cost me $150 per side with studs, bearings, and seals. For the price, Moser would be my choice to do it again. The cost per side should be about the same. Moser axles are $245 per PAIR plus shipping (probably $25) With the other parts, it would be just over $300, and if you live in a different state, you might not have to pay sales tax, which would offset the cost of shipping.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Not to barge in on what sounds like good advice, but didn't all the 2.56 cars use a 7.5" axle? I assume gears meant for 8.5" axles don't fit? Correct me if I'm wrong, I'd like to know.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Not to barge in on what sounds like good advice, but didn't all the 2.56 cars use a 7.5" axle? I assume gears meant for 8.5" axles don't fit? Correct me if I'm wrong, I'd like to know.
Every search I did on stock rear end gave me 8.5", 10-bolt, 30-spline.

And sorry to thread jack... but these cars all came stock with posi right? Reason I ask is I'm selling my stock 2.56 on eBay, and someone is telling me it's not a posi based on the pic.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Posi is an OPTION, except on the Impala SS, std. Even the 9c1 option it was NOT standard. Hard to find a wagon rear(2.56) with posi.

·
Registered
806 Posts

·
Registered
8,636 Posts
Posi is an OPTION, except on the Impala SS, std. Even the 9c1 option it was NOT standard. Hard to find a wagon rear(2.56) with posi.
That's because they didn't make ANY.

On the Roadmaster Sedan, the posi was Optional. 92-93 was not very common. 94-96, it was much more common, but still a bit rare.

·
Super Moderator
9,110 Posts
No problem. Visual wear is fine, but if it catches on a finger nail, you've got problems. The last hurt axle I saw had a 1/16" groove the width of the bearing worn into it. It's pretty obvious.

Just make sure you install new outer axle tube bearings and seals before you put them in. You'll need a three-jaw puller and preferably a slide hammer to get the old bearings and races out, then push the new bearings in and put the seals in. I use a hammer against a block of wood wrapped in a plastic bag to hammer the new seal into place.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts