Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to lower my caprice 2 inches but I don't want the ride to beat me up. Is it possible to get lowering springs that don't ride too hard

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Belltech spindles for sure! Only way to keep geometry proper. Belltech also has matching rear springs. You'll also need their shocks.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What is the sudden push for everyone to buy drop spindles?

First off, it is around a three inch drop(for and SS, more for a Caprice), and is dangerously low(for a daily driver). I would go no more than 2" on the front(from SS height). Many of us use Suspension Techniques, Hotchkis, Intrax and Sprint springs. Do a search and learn which ones will suit you the best. Hotchkis would probably be closest to the 2" drop for the Caprice without sacrificing quality.

Mav

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got a question for MadMav. When I had the Eibach's in the car the front lower control arms were just kissing the bump stops and like I mentioned, the ball joint pin angles were really ugly. What is your thoughts on that?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Form what I have heard, Eibachs are crap and you never know how low they are. My ST springs sit perfect and required no serious alighnment tricks to make them work. There are hundreds of us using these, intrax and Sprint spings without problems.

Mav

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I vote for Intrax over here.

The look is soooo damn mean, brought my 4x4 caprice down to the ground man.

I love them, they are stiff, but definetly AWESOME!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I see that the Springtechs are on sale.. That is a sweet price and it drops it 2inches. Has anyone used this product and how does the car handle? Please get back at me about this cause i plan on buying this this weekend or Monday.. Thanks.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MadMav:
What is the sudden push for everyone to buy drop spindles?

First off, it is around a three inch drop(for and SS, more for a Caprice), and is dangerously low(for a daily driver). I would go no more than 2" on the front(from SS height). Many of us use Suspension Techniques, Hotchkis, Intrax and Sprint springs. Do a search and learn which ones will suit you the best. Hotchkis would probably be closest to the 2" drop for the Caprice without sacrificing quality.

Mav
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The spindles are 2" drop from stock height regardless of the car. Since he's got a Caprice, the spindles will actually lower the car less than a set of ST/Intrax/Hotchkis springs would all while keeping the ride feeling the exact same.

9 out of 10 people that have the spindles have cars that are still driveable. If you're thinking of Tully's car, I really think he got something for some other application, and/or it was a combination of his tire size and springs.

The spring route works fine, we've got two cars with 2" lowering springs, but the spindles will keep the proper geometry throughout the wheel's travel and won't make the ride stiff. Some folks like it low, but can't handle the bumps ya know.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mike : on Tully's car, the spindles dropped it 3". And another Doomer just installed the Belltechs on his 9C1.....also dropped 3" beyond where the springs should have dropped it (9C1 to Global West which is about a 2" spring drop : ended up 5" total drop WITH the spindles :eek: )

Yeah, I know Belltech advertises a 2" drop.....doesn't mean you end up with a 2" drop though :D

We should know soon enough, because Tully is taking out the spindles and putting back in the stock spindles (with lower springs) to make the car drivable again. When we have the spindles out, we'll line them up next to the stockers and see what the difference REALLY is.

Other issue with drop spindles is that they DO change the front geometry in the sense that they not only "drop" the car but ALSO push the wheels out a bit. This is why Tully's car had rubbing issues with 245/40R18s (same diameter as 275/40R17) on a 18x8" wheel with 5" backspacing.......despite being on the Global West springs (stock SS height). It would have been WORSE with the softer SS springs in there! With stock SS wheels and tires, his car would not have been able to move because the tires would have hit the fenders while pointed straight ahead!

Dee : if all you want to do is drop your Caprice 2", then just get a set of Hotchkis SS springs and be done with it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AutocroSSer:
Mike : on Tully's car, the spindles dropped it 3". And another Doomer just installed the Belltechs on his 9C1.....also dropped 3" beyond where the springs should have dropped it (9C1 to Global West which is about a 2" spring drop : ended up 5" total drop WITH the spindles :eek: )

Yeah, I know Belltech advertises a 2" drop.....doesn't mean you end up with a 2" drop though :D

We should know soon enough, because Tully is taking out the spindles and putting back in the stock spindles (with lower springs) to make the car drivable again. When we have the spindles out, we'll line them up next to the stockers and see what the difference REALLY is.

Other issue with drop spindles is that they DO change the front geometry in the sense that they not only "drop" the car but ALSO push the wheels out a bit. This is why Tully's car had rubbing issues with 245/40R18s (same diameter as 275/40R17) on a 18x8" wheel with 5" backspacing.......despite being on the Global West springs (stock SS height). It would have been WORSE with the softer SS springs in there! With stock SS wheels and tires, his car would not have been able to move because the tires would have hit the fenders while pointed straight ahead!

Dee : if all you want to do is drop your Caprice 2", then just get a set of Hotchkis SS springs and be done with it.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Listen to Ed, he's the man! And I will second the Hotchis springs. They will give you what your looking for. Oh, and check out the pics of my car in the thread I started called "Hotchkis springs installed (pics)". Your car should be right around where my car sits.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I would say just go with the Intrax springs. It dropped it about 2" and rides really well. The only thing I did was an allignment. They are only $189 from Summit.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok, since it looks like no one has mentioned or voted for these in this post, I'll mention that DJM Suspension also makes lowered springs for the 94-94 SS/Caprice. The set drops 2" up front and about 3" in the rear (by the time the springs finish settling). This is what I'm running on my car (see sig). The ride has a tight "sport" feel to it, but it still rides smooth (at least me and everyone who has ridden in it think so). It's not bone-jarringly stiff, nor is it bouncy over bumps in the road. I have no issues with bottoming out (as long as you don't hit bumps at like 100MPH ;)), and Ive got plenty of space under the fenders (I'm running 245/70's all the way around), even with stock (taller diameter) 9C1 steelies (still used as spares). If I've calculated correctly, (we'll see :D) then I wont have to change any suspension components at all when I put a set of 20's on it (9.5 width should fit with no problem). Travis Lewis on this board (and a few others I know) had this same setup on his '96 while running 20's also.

Anyway, I just wanted to mention the DJMs as another option for you. If you can, Dee, find someone on this board who is relatively close to where you are whose ride height you like and get them to take you for a ride in their car. That way you'll be able to make a better decision to get the results you are looking for.

My $.02
Hope it helps.

-Ant

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.