Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is an old subject but when i did a search of "how-to" i didnt find much help. NAISSO give you a 1 pic directions with their fix-it kit. No offense to regionofdoom.com(Great website) but they dont show the resistor relocation fix-it kit.So here are some pics and step by step directions. hope the URL shows up. This is my first time doing URL links, first time doing the odometer fix, and first time doing soldering. so take it easy on me. If it all shows, hope it helps others in the future if there are any mroe people with odometer probelms anymore.
http://jailerss.com/gallery/adams_mods-Odometer-Fix

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Another way to fix the problem is to just re-soder the resisters.

No kit needed, but you need to know how to soder.

Worked for me.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes i read you can just resolder them, but for a person who has never taken anything apart on the instrument panel, i figured more indepth pics were needed. doesnt hurt. but i've read if you resolder, it will work and last a while, but will eventually mess up. with the NEW resistor, when i plugged it in and turned hte key on, it heated up HOT to the touch within minutes. so i cant blame the original one messing up.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So this is the only known cause ofor the fading odo?

I thought GM also replaced the digital meter itself.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
to ninety five.
far as i knwo this is the only problem. looking at the receipts the previous owner of my car had collected, one said that "owner states odometer fading" and he always had taken the SS to the dealership for everything. so when i took the instrument panel out, it looked like somebody had already put a dot of solder down on one of the circuit tracks. i doubt they replaced the whole display, no need for that. also there was evidence on the steering column where sombody was rough taking the panel out and scratched the mess out of it. if you turn the key on and touc hthe resistor, it gets very hot very quit, you would understand why the solders get brittle. i dont know too much if it happens to the 94s, 95s.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.