Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I've got a sort of n00b question for some of ya veteran autocross b-body racers. I would like to take part in some sort of racing event at the Nat's, but 1) I don't want to tear the car up and 2) I want to do something fun, relatively low speed, and 3) something the car is designed to do. I guess I don't know enough on this subject to know the difference. I don't want to run 1/4 mile races, but I'd like to do some sort of EVOC type racing. Something pretty low key and fun. Is Autocross the closest thing? Any backwards thru the cones stuff that cops like me are used to doing?

Perhaps I could be like the clown car before the real show starts?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'd say you've got the right idea. I've autocrossed a little, and I really enjoy it. Furthermore, I too am looking forward to ISSCA nationals for that same reason. Autocross will work your suspension, brakes, and power steering quite a bit. The ISSCA venue is a great place to cut your teeth, as there's plenty of advice, you'll be classes with comparable cars, you can see others sling their B-bodies around the track, and if you screw up (see Vegas ISSCA autocross), the staff is pretty patient. Lastly, you can sometimes coax one of the autocross veterans to ride with you, and get a bit of coaching.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am prolly gonna sit out the Autocross; I'm more excited about the road course. I think I would beat my car up too bad in an autocross.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Really? I figured I just wouldnt drive my car 100% on the roadcourse. Just wanted to get some high G turns in. Driving slower in the Autocross is just not fun...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, it would just be for fun. I could run the lights and siren maybe. It's a stock suspension (well, MOOG and Energy parts and SS springs) but I definetely do not want to tear my car up, since it's primarily for show and my only transportation home. Whats the difference between the Autocross and road course?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do both events. You won't get enough track time at an ISSCA event to hurt a well maintained car. Down side is you may get hooked. I2K2, drove to St. Louis ran on street tires,didn't even check the air pressure. ISSCA Nationals Tulsa, Towed a tire trailer with the Impala. ISSCA Nationals Indy. Towed the Impala in on a car trailer.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do both events. If your car is in reasonable shape, you won't hurt it autocrossing.

And do the road course too - go as fast as you feel comfortable going and that's all. You will definitely regret not doing the road course later if you back out. Try to snag a ride with one of the instructors during an instructor's lap session. My car has 6-point belts on the passenger side too.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
"would my car have to be set up with any extra safety gear? stock right now."

For autocross? No.
For raod course? Just remember your limits with stock brakes.

Both events are a GREAT rush!

If you have the appropriate helmet, be sure to bring it along.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Autocross is short bursts of acceleration, brakes and turning. Speeds are generally low not momenatarily exceeding 60 mph. They set it up with sloloms, braking zones, hard left/right transitions and more. It is more of a handling coarse than it is a speed coarse. It is one car at a time on a prescribed coarse layed out with pylons (orange cones). You must stay on coarse to get a time (score) and you receive penalties for knocking down cones. You can usually run what you brung. Empty out the car, air up the tires, put on your SA2000 (or newer) rated helmet, and your off. Each session lasts usually less than a minute.

Road coarse is a totally different animal.
Here you will run high speeds on a road coarse that requires your car to be in excellent shape, have new or newer brake pads, fresh brake fluid and good tires at a minimum. Depending on the track you can exceed 120 miles per hour transitioning corners and braking zones in usually 20-30 minute sessions. Your brakes and tires will take a beating.
I personally have a second set of rims and tires, a specific set of brake pads and high temp (600 boil point) brake fluid that gets bled often for the track. I swap out my brake pads and rims and tires before/after every event. You will boil your fluid in the calipers if you run too hard and have a low boil point fluid (stock fluid 380 boil point).
If you take it easy on the road coarse and be dilligent with your brakes and know when you start to get a soft pedal, back out for a lap or two and let everything cool off and then go for it again. The same goes with your engine, LT1's are known for overheating the power steering fluid and melting the cap so be aware of that too.

[ 04-05-2007, 01:37 AM: Message edited by: fastduo ]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Originally posted by fastduo:
Depending on the track you can exceed 120 miles per hour transitioning corners and braking zones in usually 20-30 minute sessions .
While this is normally true with a traditional open track day event, you will not see 20-30 minute sessions at the ISSCA Nationals. You will get 10-15 minutes of "Familiarization laps". That consists of a group of 8-10 cars running nose to tail with the instructors (no passing allowed) and not at 100% speed. The competition segment will be one warm up lap and one timed lap - that's it. There will likely be more than 80 cars to time and there just is not enough track time available for more laps.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Autocross it is! :D

Thanks for all the info guys. I def. want to go easy on the old girl, but I'd like to put her thru her paces just a tad to keep her living the life :cool:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sounds good! Perhaps we'll be working the course at the same time...

[ 04-05-2007, 08:44 PM: Message edited by: HuSSker ]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
:eek: Sorry to disappoint everyone, but the local scca will be doing all the course work/cone shagging. If your coming to nationals in the "Lou" no course working for you. :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Originally posted by Road Monster 2:
:eek: Sorry to disappoint everyone, but the local scca will be doing all the course work/cone shagging. If your coming to nationals in the "Lou" no course working for you. :D
Man, I sure hated to hear that.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
For those of you that are not sure.......

For several years I ran Autocross, Roadcourse, and Drags with an essentially STOCK Impala. Do yourself a favor, enjoy all events. In bone stock forms these cars can really run....hink of it as an opportunity to stand on it with no cops around and no chance of geating a ticket!!!

Bobo

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I couldn't agree more. St. Louis might just be the best place for stock SS newbies to enter into autocross. There's A LOT of autocross talent in GRAIL, and with the local SCCA manning the track, some of that talent might be freed up for consultation. If nothing else, you'll be able to see how they get it done!

So, if you haven't already, GO REGISTER FOR ISSCA NATIONALS! www.impalassclub.com

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.