Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts

·
Registered
8,361 Posts
Or the bank. If he's upside down it's actually a clever way to make loan payout. Potential for profit is hi with this one.

·
Registered
976 Posts
The writing all over windshield = insurance auction car.
Guy bought it to make $, it was auctioned off for a reason...buyer beware.

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts
Hey babe, You like flood cars don't you? :wink2: JK I wouldn't have thought that. I was thinking more like Milo's chop shop. Although that would have been real ballsy.

Mark: Snowman-33

·
Registered
976 Posts
No just don't like people that sell JUNK!
Either scam or someone trying pass off parts as good.
Flood cars should NOT be sold imho.

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts
No just don't like people that sell JUNK!
Either scam or someone trying pass off parts as good.
Yeah, I followed your ordeal with the one you bought. I could almost feel the exasperation. Buying something you think is a legit deal and finding new problems, to you, just sucks. I'm sure you had hoped to get more parts out of the one you got. I have high regard for you that you didn't stay silent and try to pawn the junk off on others. Says a lot about you.

Mark: Snowman-33

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
I bought some interior parts from a flood car in a junk yard once. That car had water in EVERYTHING and it was a all a rusty mess. The engine and trans were full of it.

·
Registered
1995 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham
1,137 Posts
To a person with the proper expertise, there isn't an issue.

The only time flood cars are a problem is when they are sold to people who either don't know about the flood damage, or don't know what they are doing.

If somebody happens to be an expert in electronics and water damage and whatnot, and they want to buy a car to repair, I don't see an issue with it. For some people it is their only chance to acquire that dream car that they could never afford.

I understand your point, though. When you have cars like that getting fixed up and thrown back out into the market, they are certain to fall into the hands of unfortunate buyers. I guess my counter-argument to that would be that by outlawing flood cars you would likely just be increasing the incentive to hide the damage.

·
Registered
8,361 Posts
I had a similar retort ready, but alas pulled to something else and the famous 'got logged out and lost errthing'. Today's wacky weather is producing way too many casualties to be throwing everything will-nilly into the ocean without a chance to scrap. This seller appears to have adequately disclosed status with pics. Overall value to others is just a factor of how high and long the water was. Well, and of course whether the car was run afterward lol

Funny story: my dad found a used lo-mile loaded '78 Caprice (2-tone gray, red velour - called a Brougham?) in a very well respected dealer's lot (civic leader, into charities - the whole deal). Pop wasn't a carhead so he (and especially my mom) was real glad I offered to look it over. I went in with "just looking for a full-size GM" and put up with the sales spiel until coming to the target and asked to be left alone. It looked like dad did well. This thing was mint, clearly well taken care of. But a little triangle of dust in one corner of the inside of the speedo bezel. Alot of rollbacks back then and probably a fulltime hiway car so it might have had ~30k taken off. And you're buying the car not the odo so no big woop. But 2 inches of welt has pulled from a lower door panel and its carpet inset is cleaner than any of the other doors or kickpanels. Now I'm on the hunt. A twig caught in a seat spring. Here's the kicker - the trunk pad looks brandnew, and so does underneath except for dust in the sheetmetal valleys like you hosed off something but didn't dry with a towel. Pulling panels and putting on a jack would have shown more, but I was impressed how clean it looked. Under the hood looked absolutely perfect - maybe too perfect lol. They had the cleanup down to a science. I reported back to dad "not this one, it looks like a flood job". He was depressed sure, but more pissed at me for impugning the good name of this 'community leader' dealer.

getting long here: Anyway a couple months later a news sting was about this dealer and a couple others in town had "flooded the market" (sorry) from bad floods in the southeast.

Cliffs: agree with anyone who thinks it should be federal offense licensing a flood car, triple penalty for out of state. But that Camaro looks like some good deals for the right customers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts