1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Trying to pick either one of these tires:

235/75/15 (28.9")
255/70-15 (29.1")

Also considering 255/60/17, it's also 29".

My main concern is rubbing. I would think that 235/75/15 would have less of a chance of rubbing than 255.

I have the F-body front sway bar and it rubs with anything, even 255/50/17 or 245/50/17. I would think that if I stay in the 235-255 range it won't rub any worse than now. Plus I plan to raise it a bit.

I am also going with Moog springs that are close to stock springs in height (namely 5552, with 10.50" installed height). I have a rake now but don't care to keep it that way.

One advantage of 235's is that it seems it would fit in spare wheel storage space while 255 might not. The other advantage is that 235 should handle better in the snow?

What custom 15" rim can I use with either one? Something that's not too flashy or shiny.

Here is a rough idea how 235/75/15 looks versus 245/50/17 that I have on the rear. Still need to mount them and raise the front to stock height. It doesn't look as big as I thought and seems a lot less ridiculous than 245/50/17.

·
Registered
190 Posts

Here is a pic of mine earlier this summer 30 miles down a forest service road taking the dog hiking in Wyoming. The rims are 15" inch suburban wheels and 235/75/15 Goodyear Wranglers. The car is a beast and gets anywhere. Drove it all winter like this too.

·
Registered
6,949 Posts
I had 255/70/15s on 9C1 rims on my old wagon, no rubbing issues.

·
Registered
579 Posts
You could also consider the 9C1 optional size, a 235-70-15, lower profile, they are harder to come by, and that's what I run on mine.

·
Premium Member
2,708 Posts
I would stick with the 235/75/15 since they are narrower than the 255/70/15.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I had 255/70/15s on 9C1 rims on my old wagon, no rubbing issues.

Thanks for the feedback...

I think I will go with 255/60/17, it's a 29" tire. One advantage is that I could reuse the Impala SS rims.

Any idea what the best brand is? Summer tire - I plan to have a summer and a winter tire, don't need all season.
I will check out tirerack.com and their ratings.

·
Registered
190 Posts

All this talk about the tall tires had me itching to get out and find some dirt roads to get lost on. Went up to Vedawoo by Laramie, WY today got on a side road and passed three lifted jeeps, two pickups, and an ATV all looking at me like I was crazy. None the less, I made the whole road and came back to the highway without stopping once! Then drove all the way to the top by these antenna's. I guarentee 99% of full size sedans on the road today would not have been able to get where I was today in the Band-Aid. Fun times today!

·
Registered
12,121 Posts
Did you check Walmart for tires. They are usually the best price, and they will deliver them to your house or the installer of your choice (just let the installer know you are sending them to him). I am using Nexxen tires on my wagon right now. Most of the well known brands are about the same. A lot of people like Hankook. Hankooks tend to be a bit cheaper than other will known brands. Longer wearing tires tend to have less traction, because the rubber is harder.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts