Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For the guys running 26s on the impalas and cadillacs 93-96 did you change out gears in the rear end?? Or doesn't really matter?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Everyday driver if needed. Most like going to be on a 25 series tire to tuck and sit low in the wheel wells. So what do you recommend?

·
Registered
96 caprice 4.3 w/ rebuilt transmission and suspension rebuilt
22 Posts
If it’s a daily driver then we still need to know if you do more city driving or highway driving. The reason is that on the highway depending on tire height and rear gear ratio you could end up in a higher then normal rpm range while cruising between 60-80. I plan on running 4.10 gears with my 255/35/22 tire

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
More city driving but would like to hit the highway at times when going to the next city over for events

·
Registered
22 Posts
A lot of people here love 3.73 gears on stock height tires but when u raise the tire height it lowers the gear ratio. I would personally use 4.10 for your set up but there is a thread here about gears and big rims which is where I found most of my info from

·
Registered
22 Posts
That’s just my opinion as far as what I have drivin around in personally. I’m sure if you were donk racing or chasing better track time that there is a better gear ratio for you but I’ve had 24’s with 4.10s and I could burn rubber from a stop no problem HTH

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had them with and without, it all depended on what I could afford to live with at that time in life. I would say definitely yes on a posi tho if you have the money your already going to be inside the rear end so why not? That new thread by Fred Kiehl is actually a good posi unit and the guys on that thread are way more knowledgeable then me.

·
Registered
1995 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham
1,519 Posts
I would highly recommend 4.10's if you want to still be able to do some highway driving.

If you are on a budget, I would highly recommend going to the junkyard and pulling the rear axle from a Trailblazer, Envoy, etc. They come with either 3.42, 3.73, or 4.10 gears. You can verify by checking the sticker in the glove box. Most come with locking diffs, which also can be verified by finding G80 on the sticker in the glove box.

If you go that route, you can get your gears and posi for under $100 total.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Are the fleetwood rear ends a 10 bolt 8.5 inch rear?
Yes, the 93-96 Fleetwood uses the same 8.5", 10 bolt as the B-bodies. It uses drum brakes, like a base model Caprice. The only difference is that the Fleetwood has 4-channel ABS, whereas all other B-bodies use 3-channel. So, you would want to use the brake lines from whatever car you have.

The commercial platform Fleetwood (limo and hearse) uses a 9.5", 14 bolt. Those are a nice score if you can find one in a yard. Some of them came with locking diffs and/or shorter gear ratios.

Reactions: BIGBODY9SIX

·
Registered
375 Posts
Rim size has nothing to do with the rear end gears. Tire size does.

What is the diameter of the tires and what do you want to do with the car (highway, dragstrip, cruising in town, burnouts, etc)
Ditto that.

Following RPM numbers from using the calculator at Spicer Engine RPM Calculator

If you've got a regular Caprice, Hankook says the stock size 215/75-15 tire is about 27.5 inches new. With trans overdrive of 0.70 and a 2.93 rear end, 65 mph should be 1672 engine rpm.

Lexani says a 235/30-26 tire is 32 inches in diameter. So, at 65 mph the 2.93 gears give 1437 engine rpm. At that speed 3.42 gears would give a close-to stock rpm of 1678. Better would be 3.73 with 1830 rpm, or 4.10 with 2011 rpm.

It's not just constant speed you have to worry about. The bigger, heavier wheels are going to hurt braking (not much you can do about that) as well as acceleration. So, 3.73 or 4.10 seems like a much better choice than 3.42.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
First of all, our cars have 30 spline axles, not 28, so those may be the wrong parts.

I also don't see a price.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
If you want to buy everything all in one kit, this is what you want:

Individually, these will be your best deals:

Posi, $300

Ring & pinion, $100

Install kit, $20

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok 30 got ya thanks for that correction. That kit was under 500 with posi. Been thinking do i really need posi on 26s if im just driving it around?

1 - 20 of 73 Posts