Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Been thinking do i really need posi on 26s if im just driving it around?
Whether or not you need a limited slip diff has nothing to do with the size of your wheels or tires - and by the way you still have not yet mentioned the diameter of your tires.

With 3.42 or more rear axle gear, it's very easy to break the rear tires loose, even with unusually heavy wheels.
Do you NEED a limited slip diff? Technically, no.
Will you regret not getting one? Probably, unless you drive like Aunt Teak.

·
Registered
1995 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham
1,538 Posts
Ok 30 got ya thanks for that correction. That kit was under 500 with posi. Been thinking do i really need posi on 26s if im just driving it around?
The eBay kit may be a few dollars cheaper, but I would trust Quick Performance a little bit more. I would trust Yukon a lot more. That Yukon diff for $300 is nice.

You absolutely do not need a posi. A posi is useful as a performance upgrade, and for better traction in wet conditions. If you drive the car in the snow, then you definitely want a posi.

If you will only be driving the car in dry conditions and you don't care about maximum performance, then you can absolutely save the money and skip the posi. Just do the gears.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I just wanted to add that if you aren't super concerned with performance, then you don't even need 4.10's.

Seriously, just go to your local yard and take a rear axle from a Trailblazer with 3.73's and G80. Buy an install kit and then you have your whole rear end done for almost nothing.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Yea the posi thing was just a option since i was going into the rear end anyways or if i can score something out the junk yard for cheap

·
Registered
11,489 Posts
A 255 25 26 is 31 inches tall. That is 4 inches taller than the stock tires on an SS. The speedometer will read 14.5% slower than the stock tires/wheels. You need a ratio of 3.53 (not made) to match the ratio to the speedometer. If you select a shorter ratio, you will need an adjustment to the computer to match the tire and gears. You will also need a tone ring for the differential to match the ratio to keep your ABS. If you do not care about ABS, your light will be on, and the ABS will not work. A 3.73 will act like a 3.27 (not made) or about a 3.23 with stock tires, A 4.10 will act like about a 3.58 (not made) on stock SS tires.

Reactions: BIGBODY9SIX

·
Registered
11,489 Posts
I can not make that decision for you. You are the only one who knows what you want from your car.

I put a 454 in my 91 OCC. It has a built 4L60, 3.42 gears and a Truetrac. I put the 3.42s in to give me a little comfort at highway speeds. It is lowered 3 1/4 inches in the front, and 2 in the back. I run 255-50-17s in the back, and am putting new rims on it with 225-60-17s in the front. I may go to 235-55-17s in the front if I have the room. I had to put +18 offset wheels on the front to compensate for the drop spindles pushing the wheels out 1/2 inch. I am putting them on the back as well, but may need a thin spacer. I have yet to measure the space I have on the inside of the tires and the rear wheelhouses. I would like to get my fender skirts back on the car, and hope the wheel tire combination will work to give me enough clearance for the parts.

After all that, you ask me what I would do...

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
The short answer is this:

The first kit includes the bare minimum to install new gears. The second kit includes everything you need to rebuild your rear end.

If you install a posi, you will NEED a kit like the second one.

·
Registered
11,489 Posts
And depending on which posi, you may need special bearing for the carrier.

Reactions: Caddylack

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Ok i decided not to go posi just want the 4.10 gears. So the master kit is the way to go then you say??

·
Registered
11,489 Posts
"May" does not mean you need the special bearings. Some posis use the standard bearings.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Item Description
Elite Gear
Elite ring and pinion sets use the latest engineering and manufacturing technology to produce OEM quality gears at an affordable price. All Elite gears are machined from premium 8620 alloy steel, then heat treated to the strictest standards for maximum strength and durability. Elite gears then go through an extensive lapping process to assure easy setup, excellent contact patterns, and quiet operation. Elite gears include a 1 Year Warranty.

• Quiet Operation
  • Consistent Setup
  • Heat Treated 8620 Steel
Master Install Kit
Elite premium master install kits are engineered per application and use only the highest quality components throughout including Koyo brand bearings. Includes pinion nut, pinion seal, crush collar (if applicable), complete shim kit, ring gear bolts, pinion bearings, carrier bearings, marking compound, brush, and gasket or RTV silicone.
Application:
1972-1998 GM 8.5" Chevy 10 Bolt Rearend
Ratio: 4.10
Compatible Carrier: 2.73-5.38 (3-Series)
Pinion Splines: 30
Ring Gear Bolts: 10
Rear Cover Bolts: 10

·
Registered
11,489 Posts
Make sure the pinion will accept the tone ring for the ABS. Most other brands of gears are the same quality as the Richmond Elites. The elites are made in China.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 · (Edited)
Is that something id have to find out when i get the kit? Obviously i dont know nothing about rear gears i just want to make sure im ordering the correct kit so i can get the shop put in for me

·
Registered
1,538 Posts

Attachments

Reactions: BIGBODY9SIX

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Wow this is really all i need? This definitely more budget friendly thanks much. Im going to look into this tomorrow after work and hope to buy!!!:D

21 - 40 of 73 Posts