Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
1995 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham
1,538 Posts
Wow this is really all i need? This definitely more budget friendly thanks much. Im going to look into this tomorrow after work and hope to buy!!!:D
Wait a minute...

What kind of car do you have? A 96 Fleetwood? It is important to know your factory gear ratio.

If you have 2.56 gears, then your factory carrier will not even accept 4.10 gears. You would need to upgrade the carrier, the most logical way of doing so being buying a posi. If you have a Brougham with factory 2.93 gears, then you are good.

Reactions: BIGBODY9SIX

·
Registered
11,489 Posts
Now that we know the type of car the gears are for, the type/ratio of B or D body does not matter. You can put a compatible carrier in any of them. The Fleetwood has an open rear, because the car has traction control, so you do not need, or want a posi. The gearset does not need to accept the tone ring for the ABS, because the tone rings for the Fleetwood are part of the axles.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Now that we know the type of car the gears are for, the type/ratio of B or D body does not matter. You can put a compatible carrier in any of them. The Fleetwood has an open rear, because the car has traction control, so you do not need, or want a posi. The gearset does not need to accept the tone ring for the ABS, because the tone rings for the Fleetwood are part of the axles.
Do not tell this guy that it doesn't matter. He was asking if there were any other parts he would need, so the carrier difference can't be ignored.

The Fleetwood does have traction control, which would need to be disabled if you install a posi.

You need to find out if your car has 2.56 or 2.93 gears. This can be verified by checking the SPID sticker on the underside of your trunk lid. I don't remember which codes mean what, but I can check in a bit.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
One more tip: Make sure all 4 tires are the same size.

If your front and rear tires were different sizes, it would drive your traction control crazy.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
The Fleetwood does have traction control, which would need to be disabled if you install a posi.
It's been so long ago - before the Great Data Loss - that I barely remember the gist of it, but my admittedly vague recollection was that the correct type of limited slip differential would:
prevent at least some Traction Control interventions
make those interventions less severe and possibly shorter in duration.
(Not that it matters in BIGBODY9SIX's case.)
You keep saying reluctor, doesn't he have a 4 channel caddy?
According to
which bears the RPO JM4, yes his Fleetwood (Brougham) has 4Channel ABS and Traction Control.
Think that means his pinion does not need a reluctor for his ABS & Traction Control to work properly because the reluctors are on each wheel.
His pcm (which is independent of and separate from the ABS & Traction Control) would still need reprogramming to correct the speedometer.

Reactions: Caddylack

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
It's been so long ago - before the Great Data Loss - that I barely remember the gist of it, but my admittedly vague recollection was that the correct type of limited slip differential would:
prevent at least some Traction Control interventions
make those interventions less severe and possibly shorter in duration.
Without doing any research at all, I bet you that's not true. Just based on my experience with the Fleetwood TC.

The TC setup on the Fleetwood seems incredibly primitive. It's basically an on/off or yes/no. As soon as even the slightest bit of tire slippage is detected in the solitary drive wheel, the throttle is cut. This is super dangerous if, for example, you are pulling out into traffic.

If you put a donut on the right rear (or any other tire that differs in size from the others), your throttle will be cut as soon as you attempt to drive the car. The car literally won't move.

Given that a posi would be a purely mechanical part with no connection to the electronic TC system, it seems almost certain to cause dysfunction.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Without doing any research at all, I bet you that's not true. Just based on my experience with the Fleetwood TC.

The TC setup on the Fleetwood seems incredibly primitive. It's basically an on/off or yes/no. Soon as even the slightest bit of tire slippage is detected in the solitary drive wheel, the throttle is cut.
Super dangerous if, for example, you are pulling out into traffic.

If you put a donut on the right rear (or any other tire that differs in size from the others), your throttle will be cut as soon as you attempt to drive the car. The car literally won't move.

Given that a posi would be a purely mechanical part with no connection to the electronic TC system, it seems almost certain to cause dysfunction.
Since it's been at least 13 years since I read that thread, and Rocko350 or his ilk are no longer available, I'll defer to your personal experience.

(Can't even remember which limited slip diff type was supposed to be the better choice for it …)

No clue how to mitigate or defeat the foot fighter except to turn it off at the glovebox or to disconnect the power to it.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Since it's been at least 13 years since I read that thread, and Rocko350 or his ilk are no longer available, I'll defer to your personal experience.

(Can't even remember which limited slip diff type was supposed to be the better choice for it …)

No clue how to mitigate or defeat the foot fighter except to turn it off at the glovebox or to disconnect the power to it.
I got in the habit of turning it off every time I started the car, but I'm going to completely delete it on this car.

·
Registered
11,489 Posts
You might just turn it off. Totally deleting it is problematic. There are a lot of parts under the hood that must be removed, and there are no parts to replace them. Should a future owner want it, it will still be there.

·
Registered
11,489 Posts
The parts will work for you. They are not the best available, but for street use they will work.

·
Premium Member
5,768 Posts
"The Fleetwood has an open rear, because the car has traction control, so you do not need, or want a posi."

Some one want to explain this to me, with facts ??

There were F bodies and Y bodies with the same
" push me pull you " redumentery traction control, 4 channel , and limited slip.

·
Premium Member
5,768 Posts
BIGBODY9SIX

Before you make your purchase, you might want to speak with the shop that you are planning to have the work done by.
Some shops will not warrenty work with customer supplied parts
Others will refuse any work at all
I get it, been on both sides of that over the years.

41 - 60 of 73 Posts