Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,768 Posts
4.11 or 4.10 is a manufacturer thing .
41-10 tooth count is 4.11
37-9 tooth count is 4.10

If you are shopping for price, it is what it is.
If you are shopping for best chance of quiet, look for two cut or face hobbed.

Below is as good an explanation as any

I am not saying older design- 5 cut- face milled can't be quiet, just that the newer 2 cut - face hobbed, you have a better chance.

·
Registered
1995 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham
1,538 Posts
"The Fleetwood has an open rear, because the car has traction control, so you do not need, or want a posi."

Some one want to explain this to me, with facts ??

There were F bodies and Y bodies with the same
" push me pull you " redumentery traction control, 4 channel , and limited slip.

I definitely wouldn't have said that the Fleetwood has an open rear "because" it has traction control. Posi and traction control, in general, aren't mutually exclusive (obviously).

Are you certain that the traction control and ABS setup in an F-body with limited slip is identical to the setup in the D-body? Or just similar?

It's possible that the Fleetwood TC would be unhindered by a posi, but it will definitely surprise me if proven to be true.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
You might just turn it off. Totally deleting it is problematic. There are a lot of parts under the hood that must be removed, and there are no parts to replace them. Should a future owner want it, it will still be there.
There is nothing left in my engine bay relating to traction control or ABS.

The commercial platform Fleetwood (limo & hearse) did not have traction control or ABS. Parts from these cars can be used to replace the deleted parts on a regular Fleetwood. This is what I will be doing eventually, but in the meantime, I'm just using an aftermarket throttle cable that goes directly from the gas pedal to the throttle body.

Nobody else is going to be owning my Fleetwoods anytime soon... So, screw it.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Are you saying this one is quieter?
They may or may not be.

I spent the money for what I thought was top quality (Motive) and my car was vibrating loudly on the highway for the entire 30k miles I put on them. I'm pretty sure it was my driveshaft.

If you spend more money for higher quality parts, they may be quieter, but how far are you planning to go with this car? Are you willing to buy a new driveshaft? Are you going to replace every bearing and seal on the entire car to make sure nothing makes any noise?

·
Premium Member
5,768 Posts
I am not positive they are exactly the same , I have worked on, driven, repaired both.
I see it as with the system as it is , a limited slip diff helping as the rear tire with less traction will be less apt to slip.
This opposed to the TC pulling throttle to stop the,slip after it happens

My words were
Some one want to explain this to me, with facts ??
You want to pursue this it's on you.
I don't have a horse in this race.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
They may or may not be.

I spent the money for what I thought was top quality (Motive) and my car was vibrating loudly on the highway for the entire 30k miles I put on them. I'm pretty sure it was my driveshaft.

If you spend more money for higher quality parts, they may be quieter, but how far are you planning to go with this car? Are you willing to buy a new driveshaft? Are you going to replace every bearing and seal on the entire car to make sure nothing makes any noise?
Just in town car only

·
Premium Member
5,768 Posts
Are you saying this one is quieter?
I am saying you have a better chance of quieter gear set with the newer design tooth pattern.
I am NOT saying your gear set will make noise just because they are the older design .
Do your homework, weigh your options, make a choice.
Case in point, there are only a few diffs that they even make the face hobbed gear set for.
12 bolt Chev you cant even get them.
I have done "one or two" gear sets in my time.
IF I have a choice, I try for face hobbed.
My latest set up is not,
Why? Because I took someones word, buried a bunch of coin having them lightened and REM polished only to get them here and find out they are face milled.
Will I use them ? Sure

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Just in town car only
It's just a matter of what you want to spend, man. It's like asking which brand of rims you should buy.

The gears 95wagon linked are really nice, but most people will be perfectly happy with the cheaper $99 gears that I linked before. It's up to you.

61 - 73 of 73 Posts