Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 91 caprice classic has 285k miles I have not driven it for awhile but she still drives no problem besides a leaking intake gasket maybe a head gasket too not sure.im definitely not
getting rid of it. With a engine that has a ****load of miles what can I do to keep her runnin past that 300k mile mark. Does a major rebuild havr to b done or can I change the oil nd a bunch of gaskets n call it a day

·
Registered
36 Posts
good to see somebody else drive these mine 93 has 210 daily driver.
falling apart from rusting.
best for testing for piston rings is a blow-by using cfm meter or water manometer h20 test taken at crankcase breather or PVC valve fitting . but the meters are not cheap can always use inhg gauge. i use them for diesels 10 inhg is max when most engines are need of rebuild. other things could cause over 10 inhg in diesels.
could use home natural gas meter to measure . also easiest and cheapest way hold your finger/hand see ho much pressure comes out PVC or valve
these test require load on the engine. brake stall test
does it burn oil. blue smoke at start up.
check oil pressure when up to operating temp check oil pressure at idle if 5-10 psi needs bearings .should really do cam bushing at that time to but i know many just do rods & mains and oil pump since it right there.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts