Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Oh Yessir! I wanted 550-600hp on motor NA. It took a bunch of advice from some of the vets on this forum. I used the golen and lingehfelter engine build sheet(s). I’m about 575hp at the flywheel now. Still have good 60ft #s. Tuning the trans was the game changer! They are a lot of 94-96 b-body owners that just punted because DIY on this LT1 schitt ain’t easy.

·
Registered
50 Posts
My 1996 has 40,000 miles and I am considering going to a 3.42 rear end. My question is, how would this affect the way the car drives/performs. Would I find it a noticeable change from the stock rear end?
Also, does anyone have any experience with a good drive line shop in the Tampa Bay area that could do this type of swap for me.
I already have a Hypertech pro, so can easily reprogram for a different rear end ratio. thank you.
Hello
My 1996 has 40,000 miles and I am considering going to a 3.42 rear end. My question is, how would this affect the way the car drives/performs. Would I find it a noticeable change from the stock rear end?
Also, does anyone have any experience with a good drive line shop in the Tampa Bay area that could do this type of swap for me.
I already have a Hypertech pro, so can easily reprogram for a different rear end ratio. thank you.
My 96 SS has a 3.73 gear and it works just fine with the stock torque converter. Did not see much difference in highway mileage, and city mileage was already bad for Impalas anyway. Heavy cars respond well with lower ratio gears. Just remember to change the pinion reluctor.

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
[QUOTE="BALLSS, post: 12125597, member:

Hey, thanks for responding. I have a stock LT1 engine (292k) that I was thinking of rebuilding. I did get the master install kit. What is the reluctor?

·
Registered
7,011 Posts
Only needed for ABS... If deleted, it matters not...

Reactions: GreenWitINv

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
Oh Yessir! I wanted 550-600hp on motor NA. It took a bunch of advice from some of the vets on this forum. I used the golen and lingehfelter engine build sheet(s). I’m about 575hp at the flywheel now. Still have good 60ft #s. Tuning the trans was the game changer! They are a lot of 94-96 b-body owners that just punted because DIY on this LT1 schitt ain’t easy.
I agree. I don't want to swap an LS into it. I like the LT1. I'm torn about what to do with it. Because a lot of Dodge cars love pulling up and acting crazy from light to light.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Thanks. That's helpful and exactly why I was looking for ideas on this Forum from knowledgeable and experienced people on the pros and cons on performance improvements for the LT1. ............Because I watch too many fast and furious? movies. Being significantly older than 16, I have no idea what these movies are about.
You are correct, it didn't help any, sorry about that.

I will try and be helpful this time, I'm not too far from you and if you go 3.73 and experience vibrations we have this at work...

They aren't set up for aluminum stuff but being one of the only places around that has one of these we get lots of drag cars, donks, mudders, etc and no complaints.

·
Premium Member
220 Posts

I will try and be helpful this time, I'm not too far from you and if you go 3.73 and experience vibrations we have this at work...

They aren't set up for aluminum stuff but being one of the only places around that has one of these we get lots of drag cars, donks, mudders, etc and no complaints.
What does the aluminum do? Why does it make the vibrations stop? I'm asking because i'm about to put 3.73's in mine.

·
Premium Member
5,334 Posts
This is as good info as any

As explained it is a speed vs length vs dia vs thickness +weight

And pinion to crank centerline angles

Lots have chased vibrations after new zoomy shafts only to find the pinion angle sucked

The production shafts could stand to be balanced better, but still run into critical speed concerns with higher gears.

That said, lots of people, myself included have run 3.73 and higher with production shafts and "got away with it"

I currently run a quality aftermarket shaft.

With the power outout you say you have, I would recommend looking at something better than you have.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I did the early 2000 crown Vic “police interceptor” driveshaft swap. I purchased from U pull a part along conversion u joints from OReillys. Driveshaft weighs half as much as factory shaft and bolts right in (I do have extended lower tubular control arms).

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #53

No problem. I've just been feeling around for various options based on owner's experience. I have heard good things about Elliot heads and maybe heading in that direction. Also perhaps 3.73 axle Nitrous......not so much. Good to know about your balancing capabilities.

·
Registered
11,317 Posts
The Crown Vic Police Interceptor has the drive shaft already balanced. I am using one in my wagon, It cost me $30 for the driveshaft, and $200 for shortening, balancing, and new universal joints. If you are using the extended arms, you can just change the universals, and use your yokes. I got solid universals for my 454.

·
Premium Member
20,320 Posts
3.42 gears are probably the best all-around gear for daily driven B-bodies with the 4L60E trans.

But since the Impala was advertised as a performance sedan, I always felt that they should've come from the factory with 3.73 gears.

Just my opinion.

KW

Reactions: Marky Dissod

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
My car has 3.73's. Came with them.

If I were doing hears myself, I'd go 3.42 or leave the stock gears alone. RPM too high on the highway, which I don't like....and it also kills gas mileage.

I also wound up upgrading to a Denny's 1 piece driveshaft because of wobble.

·
Registered
7,011 Posts
Kills gas mileage? With only 300 more rpm at 60mph over the stock 3.08's? My around town mileage actually improved, and that's with a 3000 stall Vigilante converter. So, its mostly a wash in my experience....

·
Premium Member
5,334 Posts
Especially here where must of our posted limits are 50mph (sometimes 60)
Best automatic highway milage I ever had was with 3.73 ,early locked up vigilante.This was on a Vancouver-Penticion trip.

Your mileage ( :) ) may vary

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Kills gas mileage? With only 300 more rpm at 60mph over the stock 3.08's? My around town mileage actually improved, and that's with a 3000 stall Vigilante converter. So, its mostly a wash in my experience....
IDK I'm used to seeing people claiming 25mpg or more with stock gears. Even 20mpg with similar mods to mine (H/C/I) I'm averaging 18mpg. Tune is on point. Fuel trims are perfect. Around town I can't complain about because NYC "around town" driving is just idling basically. But the highway leaves some to be desired.

That being said, passing power is very nice. I'm more concerned with the higher engine RPM though.

I do have a stock stall so that may be the issue. I have a yank that I bought a while ago but haven't had it installed yet.

·
Registered
7,011 Posts
Converter matters, but not on highway cruising as they are (or, should be) locked anyway. Concerned about a couple hundred rpm? Install a 28" tire ,and it acts more like a 3.60 gear...

41 - 60 of 64 Posts