Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

61 - 64 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Converter matters, but not on highway cruising as they are (or, should be) locked anyway. Concerned about a couple hundred rpm? Install a 28" tire ,and it acts more like a 3.60 gear...

Not interested in running taller tires. I like the way the car sits stock.

IDK what RPM the car is running at because I don't have a tach, but either way it's too high for my liking. I'm not looking to take any drastic measures to fix it right now. I'm just saying if I was building the car myself I wouldn't have chosen that gear.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I currently have a 3.42 in my wagon with a 454. I built the rear myself, and now have the tools to build another one. I am in Largo, and would consider building one for you at your house for a fee. If you get all the correct parts it will not take too long. It is not any different building a 3.42, or a 3.73, other than the gear set. One thing I will suggest is that you buy the very best parts you can afford. I would upgrade the posi, and get new axles/bearings while you have it apart. Moser makes nice axles, and they are about the same price as the Chinese ones. I bought an axle from the junk yard, so I did not have down time while building mine.
Hey Fred read your post on rear ends, I currently have 3.08 limited slip on Lt1. Im interested in playnn with rear end upgrade likely a 3.42. What do you suggest as part list and upgrades on Gears, also would you be willing to build Setup?

·
Registered
8,608 Posts
AAM (American Axle Marine) were the makers of the stock gears. IDK if any gear sets are now still made in US...maybe "US Gear" is, IDK.

Motive and Richmond gears are made in Italy but different foundries. I put 3:08 Richmond in my 67 Camaro and they work well and make no noise

My SS has 4:10's, Motive...with a T56

IMHO either are good gears

Eaton would be my $.02 on a new diff vs the stock Auburn. I have the LS one with 400lb springs, Some prefer the Eaton TruTrack

whatever gearset you get, make sure it is ABS compatible and but the corresponding reluctor gear for it

·
Premium Member
20,320 Posts
61 - 64 of 64 Posts